Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UW Technics TTL flash converter review

Started by Phil Rudin ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

UW Technics TTL flash converter review

3 posts
  1. My review of the UW Technics TTL flash converters for most cameras, housings and UW flashes. From the current FREE issue of uwpmag.com

     

    UwP121_TTL.jpg

  2. I read your review on the UW technics TTL/converter and it sounds pretty good especially for some of my needs such as macro photography at night. I am thinking very strongly about getting the just released Sony A7R V with the recently announced and hopefully available Nauticam housing.  I am also going to purchase the new YS–D3 II strobes.

    There is no listing of compatibility on the website of the converter whether it will work with the new camera and especially the new strobe. I did try to message them but their website must have a glitch because it did not go through. I can see where there is compatibility with the A1 but I do not see where it states compatibility with the similar A7R IV camera (although the review suggest that it should work in that camera so I assume it should work also in the newer V version).

    Any thoughts or help with this would be appreciated.

  3. 1 hour ago, MarkB said:

    I read your review on the UW technics TTL/converter and it sounds pretty good especially for some of my needs such as macro photography at night. I am thinking very strongly about getting the just released Sony A7R V with the recently announced and hopefully available Nauticam housing.  I am also going to purchase the new YS–D3 II strobes.

    There is no listing of compatibility on the website of the converter whether it will work with the new camera and especially the new strobe. I did try to message them but their website must have a glitch because it did not go through. I can see where there is compatibility with the A1 but I do not see where it states compatibility with the similar A7R IV camera (although the review suggest that it should work in that camera so I assume it should work also in the newer V version).

    Any thoughts or help with this would be appreciated.

    best bet is to message Pavel who posts on here, he can advise as to compatibility.  It probably requires testing to confirm parameters and that means it won't be available immediately.  The steps likely will be Nauticam produces a housing and it needs to be checked for how to mount the converter.  Then UWT will need to produce the new boards and test them. 

    I would also ask about compatibility with your selected strobes as the boards need firmware setup for the strobe in question, finally also check if sensitivity of the optical trigger circuit on the YS-D3 has been improved.  The original version YS-D3 was the subject of a number of frustrating trouble shooting sessions with the strobe refusing to trigger due to low sensitivity of the slave sensor on the strobe, when triggering with various LED powered triggers.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.