Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Can an Olympus 14-42mm Port fit a Panasonic 14-42mm II?

Started by Pomacentridae ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Can an Olympus 14-42mm Port fit a Panasonic 14-42mm II?

6 posts
  1. Hi there,

    I have a Nauticam WWL and based from what I have read the best pairing for that is the Panasonic 14-42mm F3.-5-5.6 II ASPH Mega O.I.S (H-FS1442A). 

    Now I have an underwater case and lens port for the Olympus 14-42mm Lens (EPL-10 Octo Housing). I measured the internal port dimensions:

    • Port Internal Diameter: 70mm
    • Port Window Diameter: 59mm
    • Port Depth: 53mm (from internal window face to lens base)

    I would like to know if the Panasonic Lens will fit into this port?

    So far my online research with the measurements of the Panasonic 14-42mm F3.-5-5.6 II are:

    • Lens diameter: 56 mm (fits port)
    • Lens filter diameter: 47mm (fits port)
    • Lens length: unknown

    According to the Panasonic website the length is 49mm But I suspect this measurement is not when it is fully extended.

    Does anyone have this lens? Can you measure the distance from the base of the lens to when it is fully extended?

    Cheers

  2. Which version of the 14-42 lens?  The diameter is not a problem, but you need to have the right length, if the port is too long it will fit but you might vignette.  The Nauticam port charts give some good information all these ports provide the full field of view:

    Panasonic 14-42 II :  Flat port 35

    Olympus 14-42 EZ:  Macro port 29

    Olympus 14-42 II R  Macro port 56

    The numbers approximate the length of the port from the housing flange to the port glass.  By comparing these it appears the Pany 14-42 II lens is shorter than the 14-42 II R lens and longer than the EX lens.

    If your port is 53mm it sounds like it is for the 14-42 II R lens and the Pany 14-42 II lens would fit but it would be about 20mm from the port glass and likely vignette.  I found a review which indicates it extends a few mm at wide and tele settings and is shortest at about 25mm.  The Olympus IIR lens on the other hand is extendable - you turn the zoom ring to extend it then it stay more or less the same length over the full zoom range.  You can pics here: 

    https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/846-olympus1442f3556iir

    https://www.opticallimits.com/m43/844-panasonic1442f3556ii

    You can see that a port that fits the Oly II R lens will have a lot of space if you use the Pany II lens in it so vignetting is certainly possible.

  3. Do I understand it correctly that you are mounting a Nauticam wet lens on a non-Nauticam housing? Quite curious how that works out.

    Did you already test it with the stock Olympus lens from the Pen-10? Maybe a test at a local dealer can show you if it is even going to work, before investing in a lens.

     

  4. On 7/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, ChrisRoss said:

    Which version of the 14-42 lens?

    I am currently using the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ. I measured the extended length to be 53 mm (just barely fitting the AOI Port).

    Thanks for the links to the images. From the images there I was able to measure the extended length of the Panasonic 14-42 II to be about 55 mm fully extended. I don't think it'll fit in the AOI port for the Olympus 14-42 EZ :(:(

    Oh well, that fine. Will work with what I got.

    cheers, pomacentridae

  5. 6 hours ago, Dutch_Diver said:

    Do I understand it correctly that you are mounting a Nauticam wet lens on a non-Nauticam housing? Quite curious how that works out.

    Did you already test it with the stock Olympus lens from the Pen-10? Maybe a test at a local dealer can show you if it is even going to work, before investing in a lens.

     

    Yes, that is correct. I've talked with the guys from Backscatter, they said that Nauticam WWL works with the AOI EPL10 Housing, but with very slight vignetting.

    I also found this article: https://www.opticaloceansales.com/olympus-epl-7-with-nauticam-wwl-1-and-cmc-lens-review.html

    AOI used to make the official Olympus Housings. I gather that the ports are still the same between the EPL7 and the EPL10.

    Quote

    "This would work very nicely with full “zoom-through” focus from 14 to 42mm using the WWL lens. "

    But I appreciate that you're right maybe I will need to borrow a WWL first and try it out.

    cheers, pomacentridae

    Edited by Pomacentridae
  6. 57 minutes ago, Pomacentridae said:

    I am currently using the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ. I measured the extended length to be 53 mm (just barely fitting the AOI Port). 

    Thanks for the links to the images. From the images there I was able to measure the extended length of the Panasonic 14-42 II to be about 55 mm fully extended. I don't think it'll fit in the AOI port for the Olympus 14-42 EZ :(:(

    Oh well, that fine. Will work with what I got.

    cheers, pomacentridae

    It's so close, they quote the Panasonic lens as being 49mm long.  Have you tried asking backscatter this specific question?    It should be a simple matter for them to try it in a housing if they haven't done so already. 

    As for the WWL if it works on the Nauticam port there's no reason it won't work on the AOI port as long as it fits well and is mounted so it's a close fit.  The only unknown is the clear diameter of the port glass, but the review on the EPL-7 doesn't mention any issues with vignetting so you should be fine there, assuming it's the same port

     

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.