I have a Panasonic LX-10 and it white balances very good underwater. I all so have a Nikon Z50 which I was told that Nikons in general do not white balance all that well.So my question is what camera models white balance really good underwater ?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
question about white balance ?
Started by Marc Furth ·
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
question about white balance ?
-
-
No camera will get white balance correct underwater much of the time, if not most. Works OK in shallow, sunlit waters, or with good strobe lighting, but you ought to just shoot in RAW and correct later in post. I find it fairly easy to get white balance right in post, after a fair amount of practice. I use the eyedropper tool in Lightroom to get things close, then fine tune by eye and memory until it 'looks good'.
-
On 7/26/2021 at 1:29 PM, Marc Furth said:
I have a Panasonic LX-10 and it white balances very good underwater. I all so have a Nikon Z50 which I was told that Nikons in general do not white balance all that well.So my question is what camera models white balance really good underwater ?
I assume you talking about ambient only lighting or shooting video without lights? Most cameras offer the option of a "one-touch white balance" using a slate or some other neutral object to do the balancing off. Some are truly one touch, others require jumping through flaming hoops with multiple button presses to execute. The older Canons were one touch, Olympus still is. For example the G7X mkI was true one touch and the G7XII is at least 8 clicks plus navigating menus.
Sony cameras used to have a limit on custom WB range at about 10,000K which was inadequate for UW use, but newer models are reported to be improve din that regard. Olympus, Panasonic and Canon are reported to get good WB using a custom WB.
If you are talking auto WB that is pretty poor on most any camera unless you are using strobes and then it is pretty good on most cameras as long as the strobe exposure is strong enough to outshine ambient light. You may still need to tweak and shooting in RAW makes this relatively easy with a number of ways to set a good WB, depending on which editing software you use.
-
Hi Marc
I've been using Auto WB on RAW for stills on D-series Nikons since the days of the D100 - usually accompanied by strobes, certainly for macro and, to a degree, for WA too. I can't honestly say I have ever had a major problem with the quality of the WB over 10s of thousands of u/w pics.
As Chris says, it can always be tweaked in, say, LR and the dropper makes this pretty straightforward.
I've not yet used a Z-series Nikon underwater but a buddy of mine uses the Z7 and the WB looks pretty good to me. Would the Z50 be much different in that department? I suspect not.