I am thinking of converting to digital underwater photography, so far I am down to my last 2 choices of camera: the Olympus 4040 and the Kodak DX 4900, since both are in the 4mp range and both have housings manufactured by Ikelite. But at the moment it seems that I am inclined to choose the Kodak dx4900, due to availability in here (Indonesia) and the price issue but the problem is, apart from the raves underwater review that I've been hearing about the Olympus 4040, I have never found any underwater reviews for Kodak dx4900 nor the underwater picture samples. Anyone can help me on this one????????
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
anyone ever used kodak dx4900 with the Ike housing??
Started by j_pradi ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
anyone ever used kodak dx4900 with the Ike housing??
-
-
At least yo have narrowed down your choice to 2 cameras. Here are some websites for camera reviews.
The editor does give his proffessional preference and rating.
Here is another website that has a different approach. Based on the selected photo you can compare the results from different cameras.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Ideally pick the photo you like and see which photo you think looks better. This way you are using your own eyes and preferences to decide which camera appears "BEST FOR YOU".
We all have our own style and preferences. Some like blue, some like red, some like scenery... due to this you really should pick the camera and lens that best suits your needs and preferences.
For example if you are a macro guy, choose a camera with high f-stop for good depth of field and also good macro capability. If you are into wrecks, then choose a camera with the widest possible angle, or pick one that can have good quality wide angle attachments.
So since I think you like wrecks, I would pick the Olympus over the Kodak. Lots of good quality add on lenses. But I am not sure if they will fit on or in the Ikelite housing. Some attachments go onto the lens and stay in the housing, and some stay outside the housing. So pick the housing carefully.
By the way, I was stuck in Cirebon about 2 weeks ago.
-
Thanks Dave,
Well you're almost right, I do dig wide angle shots although wreck is not my only interest.
The compability with the Inon wide angle lens converter is probably the attraction for me for both types of the cameras.
Well I am gonna look at the specs for one more time...
thanks, oh yeach Cirebon sucks, worked there for 2 weeks, hate it.....
-
Besides reading the specifications at the mentioned sites, take a trip to a friendly photo shop and do your own comparison.
Take the same shots of a subject you find interesting using the two cameras:
Macro
Distant
In the Shop
In the Dark
Compare the photos and see which you prefer. This may not be easy because the LCD is so small, so if you have a notebook for downloading photos it can really help.
Are the controls easy to understand and use?
How many of the controls are still available for usage once it is housed?
Once housed, are the important controls to you still available?
Is the manual clear and easy to read?
Do they have up to date respective websites for firmware updates?
What is the cost of storage media?
Since I screwed up in the previous post, here are the websites again.
Cirebon is a small place, but still quite interesting with lots of happy faces to chat with. Since I do speak a bit of Bahasa, I found the place very very different from Jakarta. Time somehow does not seem so important there since there always is tomorrow.
-
Besides reading the specifications at the mentioned sites, take a trip to a friendly photo shop and do your own comparison.
Take the same shots of a subject you find interesting using the two cameras:
Macro
Distant
In the Shop
In the Dark
Compare the photos and see which you prefer. This may not be easy because the LCD is so small, so if you have a notebook for downloading photos it can really help.
Are the controls easy to understand and use?
How many of the controls are still available for usage once it is housed?
Once housed, are the important controls to you still available?
Is the manual clear and easy to read?
Do they have up to date respective websites for firmware updates?
What is the cost of storage media?
Since I screwed up in the previous post, here are the websites again.
Cirebon is a small place, but still quite interesting with lots of happy faces to chat with. Since I do speak a bit of Bahasa, I found the place very very different from Jakarta. Time somehow does not seem so important there since there always is tomorrow.