Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Advice for sony macro shooting

Started by smurillo ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice for sony macro shooting

5 posts
  1. I finally was able to save up and picked up a 90mm macro for my A7R3.  Looking for any advice in settings and any tips would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Hi smurillo,

    I've written up my notes on using that combo here: https://www.naturetripper.com/articles/underwater-macro-photography

    I think quite a few people here have experience with the 90 mm – pretty much the go-to for Sony users. Adding to my notes at the link: I haven't really tried it, but I think a lot of people use it with a focus light. 

    Best, Simon.

  3. I've been using a 90mm with my A6300 for a while now. A focus light isn't absolutely critical, but it helps, especially when doing supermacro with a close-up lens on top of the port. What is crucial is the ability to hold the camera absolutely still while the lens focuses - this can take a few seconds, longer on smaller subjects, and even tiny camera movements tend to reset the focusing process. Surge and currents are your enemy. I tried using it on a blackwater dive once and couldn't get it to work in autofocus mode, but another diver on the boat, also shooting an A6300 with the 90mm, did get some nice shots on the same dive using DMF pre-focused on a certain distance and moving the camera back and forth.

  4. On 9/6/2021 at 4:27 AM, SimonPierce said:

    Hi smurillo,

    I've written up my notes on using that combo here: https://www.naturetripper.com/articles/underwater-macro-photography

    I think quite a few people here have experience with the 90 mm – pretty much the go-to for Sony users. Adding to my notes at the link: I haven't really tried it, but I think a lot of people use it with a focus light. 

    Best, Simon.

    Thanks I'll keep those tips in mind.  I also enjoyed your wide angle info.  I was able to take it out to Fredricksted Pier in St. Croix and was able to get some ok shots.  Still need plenty of practice!

  5. Don't we all! Glad it's going well so far though :)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.