Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Minidome & CFWA

Started by henryp982 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Minidome & CFWA

5 posts
  1. Hi All,

    I'm shooting with a Canon R6 with a canon EF 8-15 F4 Fishyeye and a Giosim Housing (a small italian manufacturer). I have a 24 cm dome that i use for WA shots but i would like to try some CFWA shots so i'm looking for a minidome.

    The manufacturer is proposing me two options:

    - a 14.5 cm dome (semisferic)

    -a 10 cm X 4 cm (elliptic) minidome

    my preference would be for the second one but i'm not sure it will work perfectly with my fisheye being slightly elliptic. With the 14.5 cm dome i don't know if i can obtain real CFWA shots. Any suggestion ?

     

     

  2. 6 hours ago, henryp982 said:

    Hi All,

    I'm shooting with a Canon R6 with a canon EF 8-15 F4 Fishyeye and a Giosim Housing (a small italian manufacturer). I have a 24 cm dome that i use for WA shots but i would like to try some CFWA shots so i'm looking for a minidome.

    The manufacturer is proposing me two options:

    - a 14.5 cm dome (semisferic)

    -a 10 cm X 4 cm (elliptic) minidome

    my preference would be for the second one but i'm not sure it will work perfectly with my fisheye being slightly elliptic. With the 14.5 cm dome i don't know if i can obtain real CFWA shots. Any suggestion ?

     

     

    Is it actually elliptical and the description has not been lost in translation?  The curve of the dome would still be spherical I would think (or hope) though the outline may be cut a different shape but I'm not sure how that would work.  I looked at their website and I can't see the domes you list, but did see this small dome which may work?   https://www.gio-sim.com/en/porthole-waterproof-cases-for-reflex/p/cristal-port-of-45

     

  3. Dear Chris,

    thank you for your reply. 

    the dome i listed would be custom made for me.

    do you have any minidome? can you measure the diameter of the glass and the radius of the curvature (the height) of the minidome glass?

    How thick it is ?

     

    Thank you

    Enrico 

  4. @henryp982

    Dome port size and shape is defined by camera/lens/sensor.

    There is almost no way of knowing if a given dome will work without experimenting, unless it is identical to others that are proven to work. 

    Practically in terms of size only,  a 14.5cm dome should be fine and, given that you are shooting with a full frame camera, is probably about as small as you can get without seriously impairing corner performance.

     

  5. Dear Adam,

    thanks for your answer. I will try with the 14.5 cm let's see the results.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.