Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hard cap for Zen DP100 in EU?

Started by Architeuthis ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Hard cap for Zen DP100 in EU?

9 posts
  1. I am now proud owner of a Zen DP100 minidome (N120 version). As already mentioned several times here in the posts, the native neoprene cover is a joke: it fits very well to protect the single isolated domeport, when no extensions are attached, but when attached to my camera via N120 extension it does not fit any more and gets loose all the time. This is unacceptable for transportation of the assembled rig, e.g. on a boat. A good solution seems to be the hard cap offered by Backscatter for 8$: https://www.backscatter.com/Zen-Hard-Plastic-Travel-Cap-for-DP-100

    This cap does not seem to be available in Europe. When ordering from Backscatter it would cost 65$ (including shipping and 20% VAT; eventual tax by coustoms unclear and not yet included). This is just ridiculous and I am not going to spend 55+ Euro on a plastic cover...

    Does someone know whether a similar cap is available within EU for reasonable money or has another good solution to protect the DP100 minidome?

     

    Wolfgang

  2. I made a hard cap for mine with a sewage pipe end.

    I covered the pvc in a thin layer of foam sheeting from an art supply. Can’t find a photo right now.

  3. Yeah, I’d suggest a PVC piping endcap lined with foam to produce a tighter fit. Or a small paint pot or butter/yoghurt pot. 

    Edited by TimG
  4. AA9597C7-29A6-4925-A291-4C4BF7A987F6.jpeg

    627BBA21-00B4-4C8F-BDD5-FB87211B035C.jpeg

    D39ACF95-7A55-4321-8DA3-F9BE3D675677.jpeg

    B324A12E-C795-411C-AF19-1550EBB8EF44.jpeg

    914F2475-951B-4A78-870D-8EA6F6C211A2.jpeg

  5. Nice job, Chris!

     

  6. PVC plumbing fittings would work well assuming you can get the right size.  You could also look at plastic food containers or you could consider making up some tabs with velcro and loop them through the loops on you current neoprene cover and loop them around the housing body so they hold the cover in place.  One advantage of neoprene is it keeps the dome wet till you can rinse/soak it properly.

     

  7. I have solved my issue with a plastic food container from IKEA, a glued rubber/foam/neoprene inside, 4 small holes and a bit of bungee on 2 loops to maintain it in place.

    5047143E-0C88-4406-AB61-F2E4FEC901DB.jpeg

    3C8ADE93-235A-443B-83AE-476CAF00E264.jpeg

    28A17979-BCF1-42FE-AE5C-67A6A7EEF865.jpeg

    Edited by pbalves
  8. You could do the same thing with your current neoprene hood, attaching  bungee through the loops on the hood to hold it in place.

     

  9. First, I thank all for the very valuable suggestions and demonstrations...

    I first went the plumbing-pipe route and found a rubber end cap that fits the port. It needs some extension via a cutted piece of pipe. This solution is, however, relatively heavy and so it is a good solution for usage at home, but not for air travel...

    Another member here, Kraken de Mabini, wrote me a PM and suggested to try the end cap of a Subal macro port:

    http://www.subal.com/a308c36c20c1/Housings/Accessories/Protective_Caps/Protective_cover_114mm.aspx

    I ordered it and it fits. The cost including mail was 27 Euro, I consider this o.k. As one can see from the photo, it is a little bit short and could be longer, so it is o.k., but not a perfect solution. It performs its duty, i.e. it protects the domeport. In addition it is light. Certainly a solution for peple outsde U.S. but within the reach of a Subal representative.Thank you Elias for this suggestion...

     

    Wolfgang

    Subal_Cap-9063017.thumb.jpg.603f15b13fda46d6301fbe93cdd5c4e4.jpg

    Edited by Architeuthis
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.