Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Silicone grease

Started by l Goncalves ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Silicone grease

11 posts
  1. Hi,

    Just bought a meikon housing for my old Sony NEX 6. It's a second hand housing in perfect condition and already resist the bathtub test without the camera. The problem is that it didn't came with the silicon grease to lubricate the O'rings.

    Where can I buy it here in the UK? I'm leaving for vacations in two weeks and I need it ASAP.  I was looking on amazon.uk but not sure if any of the products they sell will do the job.

    Any other things that I should pay attention when doing maintenance to the housing?

    TIA 

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  2. Finding the original Meikon grease may be difficult within the UK.  You need to use the right grease and safest approach is to use a universal o-ring lubricant.  You could use the Nauticam grease from an UW photo shop of you could use Tribolube 71  from an engineering supply store.  Google Tribolube 71  to find a local supplier.

  3. https://meikon.com.hk/products/meikon-silicone-grease

    Their shipping is pretty fast - I'm in Israel, and when I ordered a replacement housing on June 16th (my Sony A6xxx housing started leaking through pistol grip port plug, and being an early model, they did not have any spares anymore, so they offered me a brand new housing for less than half the cost of a new one), I had the box in hand on June 20th.

  4. Unfortunately tribolube 71 is not sold in the uk.

    After a more accurate search I manage to find grease from fantasea, inon and ikelite brands from a camera shop and a lijun brand from Amazon that claims it can be used in any housing brand.

    Witch one should I go for? 

  5. I'm not aware what these greases are based upon, I would suggest not Ikelite as I believe that is silicone grease which is fine for nitrile o-rings but not silicone o-rings.  I know Nauticam grease is universal.  here is one supplier: https://www.nauticam.co.uk/lubricant/

     

  6. You might also use some ChristoLube. Find a rebreather dealer; they will have some O2 stable grease floating around, but Chris's suggestion of Nauticam will also work.

    Bill 

  7. Have a chat to Kevin at Aquaphot (https://www.aquaphot.co.uk/about-us/)

    UK based, he really knows his stuff and has grease for all types of O ring available.

    Adam

  8. On 8/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, adamhanlon said:

    Have a chat to Kevin at Aquaphot (https://www.aquaphot.co.uk/about-us/)

    UK based, he really knows his stuff and has grease for all types of O ring available.

    Adam

    Hi Adam(and sorry OP to jump on this topic)

    Would you recommend Aquaphot for a housing servicing rather than sending to the manufacturer for someone UK based?

    Thanks!

  9. If there no handy UK manufacturer, I’d recommend Kevin. He’s looked after my Subal housings in past years. 

  10. Hi Waterpixel

    I know you asked Adam, but I can not refrain my opinion....

    General maintenance of housings is pretty easy. A lot of folks do it themselves.

    The most difficult is to get some spare parts if needed.

    Some times even some of the o-rings it might be more difficult to find.

    Of course that for someone that does not fill confidence to DIY, ask for the service to a professional, is the way to go.

    Ship the housing to outside of your country, usually is costly (twice, as it needs to go and come back) and you needs to manage a temporary export declaration to avoid to pay taxes again when the housing is returning.

    If there is a local operator (not same town, but at least same country or export/import area) that has experience and access to original parts in case of need, to me it is a no-brainer: It would be the way I go.

    Edited by pbalves
  11. I have no experience of having my housing serviced, so cannot comment.

    Post it as a separate thread?

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.