Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Housing or Compact

Started by Matt757 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing or Compact

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Relatively new to underwater photography and I have been using my Hero9 so far. I have a canon90D which I use on land. Should I get a housing for this or a compact underwater camera?


    Thanks

  2. It's a fairly wide open questions, there's quite a big difference between a compact and a housed DSLR in terms of costs and capabilities.  Depending on which housing system you choose you could possibly buy a smaller sensor camera and it's housing and still have change compared to just the housing for a 90D. 

    I assume when you say compact UW camera you are referring to a camera that doesn't need a separate housing?   These can be quite limiting in terms of what they can shoot.  If you are talking about a TG-6 I would recommend you house that camera due to limited depth rating and the fact it'll eventually leak without a housing.

    It would be useful to know what sorts of subjects you are interested in shooting and where as this will have a bearing on any recommendation.

     

  3. Depends a lot on how much hassle you can stand transporting your gear, and how much quality you want in your images.

    I shot for a decade with various point-n-shoots, mostly without flash.  I got tired of not being able to get shots due to slow autofocus, and I got tired of point-n-shoot IQ without (mostly) flash.

    Now I love shooting my D850 with a housing and either a 16-35vr behind a big 230mm dome, or a 105vr behind a simple macro port.  Plus dual strobes and a focus light.  It only takes a carry-on suitcase, a waist bag, and some more space in a suitcase.

  4. I have a DJI Action Osmo for my "Point and shoot" and a Nauticam/Sony A7SII for the higher quality time. 

    I would have both and grow your photo knowledge and "tools" knowledge of photography.  Expand your capabilities with the amazing cameras, lights, and strobes available.

    You can always start with used gear and explore at a modest cost while learning what you need and want for your photo style.

    Go for it!

     

    Greg

  5. if you want o upgrade from the gopro Id recommend the TG-6 for a point and shoot camera about $400 for camera and $2-300 for the housing and your set for a long while. If you want to get a great and inexpensive mirrorless camera you could look at the Olympus EPL10, camera is about $650 and the AOI housing is about $650 for $1300 your set up for a long while as well.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.