Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Underwater & outside of the water flashes: HOW TO?

Started by edgarhurtado ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater & outside of the water flashes: HOW TO?

2 posts
  1. Hello! I have an upcoming photoshoot session with artistic divers in a pool. I don't really know how to trigger my underwater strobe with flashes I'll be using outside of the water ( GODOX AD600BM).

    My quesiton is: can the INON z330 serve me to trigger flashes outside of the water? The z330 will be connected to the camera via a 5 pin sync cable to Nikonos, but I also have strobes outside of the water ( regular studio flashes: GODOX ) and I don't know how to properly light both underwater and outside of the water regular flashes. Will TTL also work with my external flashes?

    I hope I can get your help guys,

    Thank you! 

  2. 1 hour ago, edgarhurtado said:

    Hello! I have an upcoming photoshoot session with artistic divers in a pool. I don't really know how to trigger my underwater strobe with flashes I'll be using outside of the water ( GODOX AD600BM).

    My quesiton is: can the INON z330 serve me to trigger flashes outside of the water?

    YES

    The z330 will be connected to the camera via a 5 pin sync cable to Nikonos, but I also have strobes outside of the water ( regular studio flashes: GODOX ) and I don't know how to properly light both underwater and outside of the water regular flashes. Will TTL also work with my external flashes?

    NO

    I hope I can get your help guys,

    Thank you! 

    See my yes and no replies above. One solution is to use an optical slave which is what I did here using the much older Inon Z220.

    https://stephenfrink.blogspot.com/2008/11/solutions-tom-kline-on-photographing.html

    The triggering strobe is the one pointing up. Your Godox may have a slave setting - check for this. One can buy slave sensors as well.

    Another solution is to use a radio slave. One can house a Pocket Wizard: https://www.backscatter.com/Aquatica-Water-Wizard-Pocket-Wizard-Plus-III-Underwater-Housing

    Be very careful when using topside strobes near water!!!!!! It is best if you an assistant attend them!

    Good luck

    Tom

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.