On 7/7/2022 at 12:49 AM, alextyrrell said:
I have been using the EMWL-1 on the D500 (Focussing Unit No.3) and it works great, it gives some very unique perspectives and is a lot of fun to shoot with. Given the cost of the EMWL-1, compromising the lens from the Nikkor 60mm ED and +4 Diopter doesn't seem a sensible option.
Hi Alex --- I ended up with the 60mm, +4 diopter, focus unit 3 and 100 degree optic on D500 I also bought the shade attachment and glad I did. First time out this morning and I can see this will be a lot of fun. A few observations and appreciate any feedback:
- at shallow depths without the shade - very noticeable reflection of the lens in shots
- the shade when aligned with the marks on the 100 degree optic is visible in frame - easily fixed by moving the shade
- I understood that the system was flexible viz a viz remove the unit and shoot with just 60mm or with SMC, however with the Hoya +4 on the nikon 60mm the working distance is tiny and almost unusable - am I mistaken? It seems that once the decision is made to take the emwl there is no other choice unless you can get really close to the subject with 60mm and plus 4.
- No problem in lighting the subject with strobes and with extended float arms the rig was actually comfortable to use and not nearly as cumbersome as it looks!
All in all I can see some great creative opportunities with this combo.
Cheers
John