- 6Posts
- 6Replies
Read-only discussion
Macro and snoot shot
-
-
Pretty good!
Which snoot and strobe did you use? I like the way the strobe is slightly behind and above the moray's head. It brings out the texture of the skin.
Hard to think of a way to improve it. If this is a crop, the only thing I think I might try is to see if you can get the eye into the top third intersection (rule of thirds); or alternatively into the back, top intersection so that the moray is looking into black neutral space. But that's real fine-tuning.
-
hey Tim, thanks for you kind feedback on the shot, unfortunately its not a crop or id definitely use more neural space. Equipment wise i used a ion z240 with reef net snoot mount base with micro snoot fibre optic arm
-
Hey Jacob
How do you find aiming with the Z240 and the ReefNet snoot?Is it reasonably accurate?
Tim
-
very accurate, but very difficult and requires a lot of practice and patience. The shot was actually of a very juvenile moray so it was tiny, unfortunately i don't have that setup any more as i moved to video but now I am looking at going back to a system that can shoot both stills and video and that means i need to purchase some new strobes but on a budget so need to figure out what are the best budget friendly strobes out now.
-
4 hours ago, Jacobguymedia said:
but on a budget so need to figure out what are the best budget friendly strobes out now.
Yeah, not easy. On a budget, second-hand Z240s or Z330s might be worth looking at. They do appear from time-to-time on the Wetpixel Classifieds.
I think practice and patience goes hand-in-hand with snooting! I switched from the Z240/Retra LSD to the Retra/Retra LSD. Snooting is now way better.