On 11/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Architeuthis said:
I am preparing for a three week UW-photography trip to the Red Sea (we will leave in two days)... 
I want to put the "Preset MF" at minimum focus distance for the Zuiko 60mm (with and without CMC1) to the "C2" setting, so that I can start easily with macro. I see that the distance can be preset from 999.9 m in 0.1 m increments (EM1II). The minimum focus distance of the 60mm macro is 0.19m, so I have set the preset to 000.1 m, the minimum that is possible. It works and when switching to "C2" I have a very close distance, presumably 1:1.
=> I just want to ask whether this is correct or did I overlook a problem that I create with this inaccurate setting (000.1m instead of the 000.19m (that are not possible to set)). Should I set instead to 000.2 m (closest to 0.19 m) and sacrify some magnification, in order to be on the safe side (the writing on the lens says that at 20 cm the mag is 1:1.3)...
=> To what value do you guys preset to get 1:1 magnification?
Thanks, Wolfgang
P.S.: Although I have enabled focus peaking, I cannot see in focus regions in red, when moving the camera back and forth (what would be quite helpful). Does focus peaking not work in the "Preset MF" mode?
Sorry Wolfgang just saw this and no doubt you're already there - hope the Red Sea is as amazing as always!
What you have done is what I do - I set it to 000.1m in the menu. I have also found that I need to have the focus limiter on the lens set on the 0.19 - infinity range. If I have it set on 0.19-0.4m, then for reasons I have yet to fathom, I can't get the preset to set to 1-1 at all!
My EM1 body is configured as follows:
Fn1 - Focus Peaking
Fn2 - Preset/MF
AEL - Back button focus (when in MF or preset focus modes)
Bottom keypad button - MF. This enables me to switch between MF and whatever other focus mode I have selected (e.g. S-AF and MF, or C-AF and MF - the modes can be changed by pressing the AF /metering button). I usually have it set to S-AF/MF.
There's also a quick way to adjust prefocus distance without going into the menus. or if you don't know how far away you are from the subject, or if you want to move back from 1:1 to get more of the subject in the frame:
1. Press AF/metering button on top of the power button
2. when the focus/metering menu pops up, select the PreMF on the right of the display
3. Press the info button (your PreMF setting will then be shown)
4. Half press the shutter button to adjust the focus distance (if you have the focus ring you can also tweak it that way)
5. Press set to accept the new PreMF setting - it will also show you what it's set to.
If you mirror my button customisation set up and adjust PreMF this way, make sure that at some point you repeat step 1- and select your "normal" focus mode - otherwise you will have Fn2 and the bottom keypad button doing the same thing.
On your final question, yes, Focus Peaking does work with PreMF Mode - just as long as you don't have the shutter button half-pressed- that seems to temporarily turn it off.
Hope that helps!