On 10/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, TimG said:
So then it's back to the dilemma: fisheye or rectilinear. I suspect if you are going to do what you need to do, you need both! But that is probably a counsel of perfection - not to mention a bank balance challenge!
The cheapest option is without doubt the fisheye one. If you are determined to go FF (not, I'd suggest the best choice) you could get a Sigma 15mm, an 8" dome and try it. If it doesn't work, you could then always switch to the rectilinear. Problem then is, of course, that the 8" dome is now not good enough and you need 9". And don't be fooled into thinking an extra 1" won't make much difference: it's night and day in terms of size, cost, portability and weight. So maybe you start out with a fisheye and the 9" dome - adding a 16-35 or some such if you find it necessary.
Thanks Tim. As you have surmised, my bank balance is not endless and I can't really afford to get two separate setups as wonderful as that would be. I am anxious about making the wrong choices and then finding I have to buy everything again from scratch because the housings or domes don't fit whatever replacement I discover I need! Also, where I work is pretty remote and its not as easy as just 'pop into a camera shop' or 'next day delivery'. I'd be waiting a couple of months for stuff to be shipped most likely (not a disaster as the dolphins aren't going anywhere, but it's all a bit of a pain). I think the main thing I have learnt in this thread is that I simply don't know enough to make an informed decision, because everyone is recommending crop sensor when I had assumed that full frame was the only thing to be certain of. Haha. So, it's back to another several weeks of reading for me I think!
On 10/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, pooley said:
I have an R5 topside and it is a fantastic camera, but I'm not sure its going to be best for what you require.
Out of interest, whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're close to Manchester you can maybe take a look at my setup - a Nikon D500 with the above fisheye, and compare it to an old 1dx housing 'I have gathering dust with a larger dome to see how that feels in your hands
Mike
Thanks very much Mike
Unfortunately I'm down in the south-west and quite a long way from Manchester or I might have taken you up on this! Interesting that you're not recommending the R5. My amateur-level research on the interweb informed me that the R5 was going to be a super-duper underwater camera but no-oneon this thread has supported that! Further illustrating my hopeless lack of knowledge on this topic...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:12 AM, ChrisRoss said:
Here's a comparison for you taken from pretty much the same spot you can see how quickly things get small at these focal lengths. You can now compare sizes of the same object. You can see the fisheye stretches out a lot more in the corners but the door is not hugely bigger in the frame with the rectilinear lens. First is 7mm rectilinear - 14mm full frame equivalent and second is 8mm fisheye - equivalent to the 15mm end of the 8-15. You can also see from the door in the BG how quickly things get smaller in frame. The door edge closest is about 800-900mm away and the hinges of the BG door about 2.2m away.
To my mind the 7-14 option seems a touch better if the dolphins are not always on top of you. But a full frame 14mm zoom setup is going to be pricey and bulky. A complete AOI EM-5III housing with the
and 8"dome adds up to $3800 at backscatter this would be ready to go - all you may want to add is a tray so you can use it two handed and it includes a vacuum system for leak checking. You could easily spend this much just for the housing for an R5. The downside is it is really setup to use the rear LCD not the viewfinder as far as I can see.
Thanks so much Chris for taking the time to post these comparisons. It occurs to me that I should produce a lifesize cardboard dolphin and do some experiments of my own with my various lenses, GoPros etc to get more of a feel for how things might look in practice
I'm going to have a look into the possible Olympus setup you mention in your two posts - thanks for suggesting this. I must admit that, perhaps ignorantly, the one thing that I was certain that I needed for my underwater venture was a full frame sensor size because I am working with fast-moving animals in not great light (I'm very shallow, but it is often overcast, and sometimes turbid) and I need to optimise light and shutter speeds so as not to get blurry dolphins. Topside, that's why I ultimately opted for full frame to maximise light and good shutter speeds for my cetacean work, over the additional magnification of the crop sensor camera. I regularly work with 7D II and Canon 5D III/IV for my cetacean ID work above the water, and the image quality from the 5Ds almost always surpasses what I get with the 7D even when I have to crop the 5D images to zoom in on dorsal fins. Maybe its different underwater, this is what I am uncertain about now after reading all this replies recommending crop sensor or even the four-thirds system. Basically, I'm more confused now than I was when I started, haha.
On 10/3/2021 at 10:18 AM, Architeuthis said:
One should emphazise that your dolphin photography is for scientific pupose to identify individuals, while ours is "artistic", just to get pleasing pictures. This may well demand different lenses. While most like WA for "artistic" purpose, maybe a regular range zoom lens is better just to take photos of the animals for identifying them and other metrics.
Thank you for your reply Wolfgang, and for recognising the specific context of what I aim to do and concerns re. sensor size etc. It's really helpful to know that I'm not entirely on the wrong path with the FF reasoning.
On 10/3/2021 at 10:18 AM, Architeuthis said:
Such a combination for R5 is the WACP1. When using Sony A7x (or A1) you could use WWL1 and save money. I do not see the fisheye distortion as a problem - you can easily "defish" the image in LR and perform then your scientific measurements.
Now we get into technical stuff that I know almost nothing about
I am aware of WACP1, WWL, etc only from having seen them in this forum and some initial googling. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price tag for a WACP1, lol. I guess I was hoping my entire setup would be around this price, not just one part of it (however awesome that part might be, and I understand it probably is). I will go and read more...
On 10/3/2021 at 12:00 PM, PeteAtkinson said:
To avoid the issue of big domes and port extensions for rectilinear on full-frame you might consider a crop sensor camera with a kit lens and a WWL-C water contact optic. This provides a compact, light rig, 130 degree corner to corner view, rectilinear but with some barrel distortion. The corners are better than a dome on full frame. You can see a comparison of angle of view for Tokina 10-17, Sigma 8-16 and WWL-C on my phuketpools facebook page https://www.facebook.com/phuketpools/ On the Nikon Z50 the Tokina 10-17 doesn't autofocus. There's also a picture of the Nauticam Z50 housing and WWL-C on phuketpools earlier on.
Thanks very much for your thoughts and for the helpful photo links. One thing I definitely do need is some fast autofocus, but I am not a Nikon user anyway (for no reason except that I went the Canon route initially and then got trapped there my by lenses!).
OVERALL CONCLUSION FOR NOW: I'm clearly not knowledgeable enough to make a good decision on this and your feedback was a little mixed (which I expected as opinions always vary, but I'm now less certain than when I started about even the choice of body!), so I'm going to keep reading some more. Thanks everyone for your input, its really appreciated even though I wish you would have all recommended the same thing and it would be simple and easy (haha)