I am looking at buying a wet closeup lens and wondered if anyone had any experience they care to share with the Kraken +6 or +12 wet closeup lens. Currently I am using a 60mm Nikon macro lens on my D850 and wanted to get in a bit closer. My current thought is to probably go with a +6 closeup lens initially. Mainly shooting in the tropics. I searched the forum but couldn't find any comments on either of these lenses. Thanks in advance for your help.
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
KRAKEN CLOSEUP LENSES
-
-
I'm using a Weefine WFL-05S, which is the same thing as Kraken KRL-05S, with the Sony 90mm lens and A6300 camera. I'm getting about 1.7x magnification with this setup, but the working distance is quite short, and focusing can be a challenge. Sharpness is not a problem.
-
15 hours ago, waynesworld said:
I am looking at buying a wet closeup lens and wondered if anyone had any experience they care to share with the Kraken +6 or +12 wet closeup lens. Currently I am using a 60mm Nikon macro lens on my D850 and wanted to get in a bit closer. My current thought is to probably go with a +6 closeup lens initially. Mainly shooting in the tropics. I searched the forum but couldn't find any comments on either of these lenses. Thanks in advance for your help.
Your working distance at 1:1 on the 60mm macro is around 50mm and as a closeup diopter works by allowing you to focus closer there is not much room to play with. Some diopters extend the working room a little, but to get increased magnification you will have very little working room. The Nauticam port charts provide working distances for their lenses: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15M7aBcO8ds2AlrFXePE6FThaWobLElaU/view
You can see the min working distance which is what you are looking at to achieve the maximum magnification is incredibly small. To properly make use of closeup diopters you really need to be using the 105mm macro lens. Any other closeup lens will be in the same general ballpark as they all employ the same principle to work.
-
Barmaglot and Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe initially I should just get a 105mm CU lens and shot that for a while.
-
6 hours ago, waynesworld said:
Barmaglot and Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe initially I should just get a 105mm CU lens and shot that for a while.
The 105 mm won't get you any closer than the 60mm, but getting decent lighting on a 1:1 shot will be easier due to the extra working distance. It will allow you to add on diopters in the future.