Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wet lens mounting options question, specifically WWL-C

Started by Barmaglot ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Wet lens mounting options question, specifically WWL-C

14 posts
  1. I think I understand the picture, but I just want to validate it - if I want to run my setup in a flexible mode (wide-angle to macro on the same dive) with a Sony 16-50mm lens behind M67 threaded flat port, I need:

    • WWL-C
    • 83250 M67 to Bayonet Converter II - on the port, to mount the WWL-C
    • 83214 Bayonet Mount Adaptor - to mount my M67 diopter on the port (WFL-05S, it has a protruding rear element for use with adapters)
    • 83252 Bayonet Holder for Arms x2 - one on each arm, to park the WWL-C and WFL-05S when they're not in use

    Am I missing anything?

    Also, right now I'm using magnetic rings to attach and park the diopter; there is no way to use them with the WWL-C, correct? Nauticam bayonet mount only?

    Edited by Barmaglot
  2. I think you and I have the same camera (a6400)? 

    I personally don't try to remove the WWL-C underwater. For any given dive, once it is on, it is on. It can obviously be removed, but I almost exclusively shoot wide angle so I don't worry about it. I mention that because I didn't buy bayonet holders. 

    Here is what I bought and use with the 16-50 lens and WWL-C:

    NA-36172 : SE1650-PZ Gear

    NA-36228 : N85 Macro Port 40 with knob (allows zooming the lens)

    NA-83250 : M67 to Bayonet Mount Converter II

    NA-82203 : WWL-C

    Note that you will need to zoom the lens to 17mm to avoid any vignetting. The vignette is very minimal at 16mm but it does exist.

    - brett

     

     

     

     

  3. 3 hours ago, Barmaglot said:

    I think I understand the picture, but I just want to validate it - if I want to run my setup in a flexible mode (wide-angle to macro on the same dive) with a Sony 16-50mm lens behind M67 threaded flat port, I need:

    • WWL-C
    • 83250 M67 to Bayonet Converter II - on the port, to mount the WWL-C
    • 83214 Bayonet Mount Adaptor - to mount my M67 diopter on the port (WFL-05S, it has a protruding rear element for use with adapters)
    • 83252 Bayonet Holder for Arms x2 - one on each arm, to park the WWL-C and WFL-05S when they're not in use

    Am I missing anything?

    Also, right now I'm using magnetic rings to attach and park the diopter; there is no way to use them with the WWL-C, correct? Nauticam bayonet mount only?

    I have been doing a similar investigation into the a7c or a7iii setup and everything you have got on that list seems what I have found to be needed as well.

    However your requirement for two holders, are you going to be using the 16-50 behind a flat port? What is the use case for it if that is the case? I have only accounted for one holder to hold either the WWL-1B or the diopter.

    Edited by newdiver
  4. 1 hour ago, newdiver said:

     

    However your requirement for two holders, are you going to be using the 16-50 behind a flat port? What is the use case for it if that is the case? I have only accounted for one holder to hold either the WWL-1B or the diopter.

    When you take a lens off the port you need somewhere to put it, particularly if it's as large as a WWL.  It's a problem if you only have two hands.

  5. 10 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    When you take a lens off the port you need somewhere to put it, particularly if it's as large as a WWL.  It's a problem if you only have two hands.

    oh I see, I used a flip holder previously and it didn't occur to me. Thanks for that

  6. 8 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

    I think you and I have the same camera (a6400)?  

    A6300 in my case.

    8 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

    I personally don't try to remove the WWL-C underwater. For any given dive, once it is on, it is on. It can obviously be removed, but I almost exclusively shoot wide angle so I don't worry about it. I mention that because I didn't buy bayonet holders. 

    A large part of my diving is in Thailand, and on many sites there, you simply don't know what you're going to get. At Richelieu Rock, I can see a group of harlequin shrimp, or an ornate ghost pipefish, turn around, and there's a big ball of trevallys or barracudas.

    5 hours ago, newdiver said:

    However your requirement for two holders, are you going to be using the 16-50 behind a flat port? What is the use case for it if that is the case? I have only accounted for one holder to hold either the WWL-1B or the diopter.

    Aside from what ChrisRoss said (I was hoping for that experimental anti-covid gene-therapy that everyone is saying will mess up your genome would give me something useful, like a third hand, or a prehensile tail, but nooooo), a bare 16-50mm behind a flat port is useful for shooting skittish fish from a moderate distance. For example, this is a very significant crop of a juvenile emperor angelfish shot at 50mm through a dome:

    tYIHxr2.jpg

    4 hours ago, newdiver said:

    oh I see, I used a flip holder previously and it didn't occur to me. Thanks for that

    I'm pretty sure a WWL-C is too large and heavy to be used with a flip holder, especially a dual one.

  7. @Barmaglot

    "and on many sites there, you simply don't know what you're going to get. At Richelieu Rock, I can see a group of harlequin shrimp, or an ornate ghost pipefish, turn around, and there's a big ball of trevallys or barracudas."

    And this is (unfortunately) is an example of why Thailand was amazing 15 years ago, and now is approaching "good..."

    15 years ago anyone who had dived Richelieu would have finished your comparison with... "turn around, and there's a whale shark swimming by you..."

    Richelieu was (and still is) an amazing dive site, but it wasn't so long ago that it was a one of the top 10 sites in the world. I remember my 2nd dive there where while trying to get a picture of a seahorse the DM taps me on the shoulder and points up...

    It took me a few seconds to realize the sun was being blotted out by a whale shark (vs. a boat...) swimming over the top of us.



     

  8. My first whale shark encounter was actually at Richelieu Rock, spring of 2018 - we dropped to 30m, found a fairly big seahorse, shallowed up a bit, and suddenly there's banging on tanks, and a whale shark swims in.

    Last season, yeah, I was told no whale shark sightings in Andaman :(

  9. The WWL-C is definitely too big and heavy to use on a flip holder, and I'm not sure how practical since the WWL-C only connects with a bayonet mount (no 67mm threads).  You'd need to add 67mm threads with another adapter.

    I routinely take my WWL-C on and off during dives by tilting the camera down, grabbing onto the dome shade, hitting the release lever, and twisting.  It takes a little bit of concentration and practice, but it's easy now and I've never fumbled (despite *admittedly* having small hands for a guy).  When I swap, the exchange has my full attention so I don't drop it.    

    Instead of having two holders, what about the double holder (83253)?  With it, the reach and movement is consistent and you have arm space for floats, if needed.  My right hand is always hitting the release levers or grabbing the camera handle, and my left hand is always moving the WWL-C or CMC.  I have no issues with mounting the WWL-C on a 7" arm for fish portraits.   

  10. On 10/4/2021 at 4:31 PM, Barmaglot said:

    Aside from what ChrisRoss said (I was hoping for that experimental anti-covid gene-therapy that everyone is saying will mess up your genome would give me something useful, like a third hand, or a prehensile tail, but nooooo), a bare 16-50mm behind a flat port is useful for shooting skittish fish from a moderate distance. For example, this is a very significant crop of a juvenile emperor angelfish shot at 50mm through a dome:

    I'm pretty sure a WWL-C is too large and heavy to be used with a flip holder, especially a dual one.

    I have had my vaccine so waiting on the third hand or any other limb to grow :)

    I had RX100VI with a diopter that I was using with a flip adapter and I was thinking along the line of that and ignoring the fact that WWL-1B is a different beast and can't be used with a flip. I will be getting the double lens carrier if I do order the WWL-1B.

    I am not sure if my diopter which is an AOI UCL-900 will work with the CMC M67 to Bayonet ring. I need to convert it to Bayonet both to use it and carry it on the carrier.

  11. 12 hours ago, mdo905 said:

    The WWL-C is definitely too big and heavy to use on a flip holder, and I'm not sure how practical since the WWL-C only connects with a bayonet mount (no 67mm threads).  You'd need to add 67mm threads with another adapter.

    I routinely take my WWL-C on and off during dives by tilting the camera down, grabbing onto the dome shade, hitting the release lever, and twisting.  It takes a little bit of concentration and practice, but it's easy now and I've never fumbled (despite *admittedly* having small hands for a guy).  When I swap, the exchange has my full attention so I don't drop it.    

    Instead of having two holders, what about the double holder (83253)?  With it, the reach and movement is consistent and you have arm space for floats, if needed.  My right hand is always hitting the release levers or grabbing the camera handle, and my left hand is always moving the WWL-C or CMC.  I have no issues with mounting the WWL-C on a 7" arm for fish portraits.   

    What camera do you use your WWL-C with? 

  12. 12 hours ago, mdo905 said:

    Instead of having two holders, what about the double holder (83253)? 

    Right now, I have my rig set up with two 8-inch ladder arms on the inner segments, and two Weefine WFA37 adjustable float arms on the outer segments (just got those two recently; haven't had them in the water yet). The diopter lives on a dock attached to one of the ladder arms, facing inward, but I don't think there's any good place there to attach a double-sided one. I figure that if I make the move to WWL-C, I'll put two docks on the ladder arms, one on each side, facing in, with diopter on one and WWL on the other.

  13. 23 hours ago, mdo905 said:

    Instead of having two holders, what about the double holder (83253)?  With it, the reach and movement is consistent and you have arm space for floats, if needed.  My right hand is always hitting the release levers or grabbing the camera handle, and my left hand is always moving the WWL-C or CMC.  I have no issues with mounting the WWL-C on a 7" arm for fish portraits.   

    The problem with a double holder is it may restrict arm position if it has the WWL on board, you may want to bring the arms together when you have the WWL on board to get the strobe in close if you are using the diopter, you will often want the strobe in close if doing closeup work.

  14. I would not put the WWL-C on a holder, as is bulky, rather in a the shorts cargo pocket. Normally I will carry the hard cap in the pocket and if I want to switch during the dive, I will put the cap on and store the WWL-C in the same pocket.

    Said that, I almost never switch from super-macro to super-wide. If I see a potential of mixed subjects, I will rather put the diopter on a flip, allowing me to shoot super macro and some regular size subjects. But of course, all is about your dive site and personal preference.

     

    regards

     

    jordi

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.