Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WACP Fitted to Subal Housing.

Started by John Doe II ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

WACP Fitted to Subal Housing.

7 posts
  1. I have been in touch with Saga and Jose advises that the WACP on the Subal is held in place by vacuum only. I have to assume that this is OK and works well.

     

     "You also have to have a vacuum system, the ring that I manufacture does not have a safety lock, I have made many of these rings and they are all like that, when you assemble the set you have to put it in the correct position and make the vacuum, with this The set remains rigid and you cannot move it."

     

    Luckily I have had a vacuum system fitted and upgraded to a type 4 port mount on the housing - so all set to go for this. 

     

    Has anybody actually used this type of setup? Any pointers/heads-up/gotcha's ?

     

  2. Wow, sounds kinda scary! I understand the science and I'm sure it works. But.... GULP.

     

     

  3. it does seem to imply that if you lose vacuum for some reason then the WACP is no longer held in place. Never having used this setup I am not really sure - hence asking here. But then again, if I re-read this, it could also read as

    "there is no SAFTEY lock" - it must still attach into place somehow - just that there is no safety lock so you could possibly get the port off accidentally and that is where the vacuum comes into play. When vacuum is pulled the WACP is locked tight against whatever method is used to attach it to the housing.

    There was a post somewhere were Alex Mustard siad he uses the WACP with a Subal housing (D850 iirc). Dr Mustard never mentioned any issues so I have to assume it works well ?

    Edited by John Doe II
  4. It sounds to be the same as Hugyfot housings, the port is held on by a normal bayonet but it does not have a safety lock to stop it rotating once engaged. The vacuum system and then water pressure prevents rotation.

  5. It's like Simon says. The Saga adaptor for the WACP on Seacam is the same. Bayonet mount that rotates into closed setting and then the vacuum will prevent it from rotating back to the open position.

  6. That sounds more like it!

  7. A typical vacuum system I believe has a vacuum of 200 mBar  inside the housing when the light goes green.  On a 120mm port diameter you can estimate the closing force and it's about 22kg if you express it as weight.   If you lose vacuum, the light flashes red - it's a flood situation.  It would be difficult to impossible to remove the port, the back door of the housing the closing force is much more and you cannot open it until you release the vacuum.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.