Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon R5 & Nauticam

Started by Brendon ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon R5 & Nauticam

4 posts
  1. Hi all. I have just upgraded to a Canon R5 & Nauticam rig and this is my first play with a mirrorless system. In general I am loving it so far but discovered an annoying ‘feature’ I can’t seemed to find a work around. My preference is to shoot with the viewfinder (11 years using a DSLR underwater) and then review on the LCD after the shot but on this rig you have to choose to view all on viewfinder OR LCD - I can’t seem to find a way to do it automatically (like out of the housing). I know I review on the VF but I prefer to look away from the camera to keep an eye on my surroundings. I would like to know if anyone else has come across this and found a solution? Cheers 

  2. Hi Brendon, I use the R5 in an Aquatica housing and prefer to use an external monitor – but I do have a solution for you: In the 'custom buttons' menu (orange #3) you can set the m-fn button to switch between VF/viewscreen. You might be able to set other buttons to do the same, but I haven't looked. 

  3. Thanks for that. The Nauticam housing has a switch built in to swap between EVF & LCD but I am ideally looking for an automatic solution….. probably asking too much :-)

  4. 27 minutes ago, Brendon said:

    Thanks for that. The Nauticam housing has a switch built in to swap between EVF & LCD but I am ideally looking for an automatic solution….. probably asking too much :-)

    Automatic won't work as it probably uses eye detection at the viewfinder and the housing makes the camera think you are looking through the EVF.  My Olympus has a setting to disable auto EVF - it's not clear how Canon does it.  It has a setting to display on screen only so that should display on LCD when you press the review button - but it's not clear if it will also use the LCD for shooting.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.