4 hours ago, JohnN said:
I pull it down by 5-6 psi. Less and it won't start the calibration sequence, more and it complains and won't start the calibration sequence. No temperature compensation mentioned in the specs
Is this a common behavior for these things?
No generally not, I have a Nauticam system and it works with no drama. So you have a gauge on the pump setup then to read vacuum?
Is this your unit?: https://shop.divingexpress.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5714
I would suggest to do a test, pull the vacuum, start the calibration sequence and once green stick the whole lot in the fridge - Do you have a way to leave the gauge connected? Or can you check the pressure again once it has cooled? Try and see what pressure it alarms at.
The odd thing is that if the housing is cooling off - the pressure should be dropping as the gas inside gets colder. which means the there is more vacuum - not less. I calculate if you start with 5 psi vacuum which is 9.7 psia ( absolute pressure) and you cool the gas by 10°C (18 F) the pressure will change to 9.4 psia which 5.3 psi of vacuum - 5.3 psi less than atmospheric pressure. This should not cause it to alarm. It should only alarm if the pressure goes up, indicating a leak.
I would suspect a passing valve until I could prove otherwise- either that or it's a faulty unit.