Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

To upgrade camera or not??

Started by Dann-Oh ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

To upgrade camera or not??

10 posts
  1. Hey All,

     

    I am currently using the Olympus EPL10 inside the AOI housing.  I also have an Olympus EM5 mark 3 I am wondering if there is any benefit to look into putting this camera in an AOI housing.  I understand that I would likely need to buy new ports for this housing (but ill be able to use the 60mm macro and 8mm fisheye from my EPL10).  I cant really tell by looking at the camera specs if there is any real benefit; I understand the max flash sync speed is the same (1/250th).

     

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. I reviewed the system you are using for the current issue of UWPMAG.com and to me it is the best entry level interchangeable lens camera, lens and housing at the price. Nothing but compact cameras even come close.

    If you own both cameras then you should have a good grasp of the differences between the two for the type of U/W photography you are doing. The 14-42 kit lens is hard to beat for wide angle with add-on wet lenses like the AOI UWL-09 pro or Nauticam WWL-1B. For macro the 60mm is excellent. Both are supported for the AOI EPL-10 and AOI EM-5 III housings and so is the 8mm fisheye.

  3. Okay, so then there really isnt not a reason to invest into the new housing for the EM5-3.  there is a little bit better internal stabilization and a few more mega pixels.

     

    thanks.

  4. I use EM5II and EM1II UW. EM5II has a very similar sensor to EPL-10, while the sensor (and PDAF AF) of EM1II is very similar to EM5III.  Clearly the EM1II is a little better (mostly DR and AF; also more MPixel), but I am not sure that the 20 Mpixel sensor justifies buying a new housing (I was glad to have a reason to purchase the EM1II plus Nauticam housing because my wife flooded her EPL-5 with Olymous housing and took over my EM5II)...

    I believe that only a future generation of MFT camera, with stacked sensor (=better AF) and BSI (=less noise) will be worth upgrading and spending the money not only for the camera, but also for the housing...

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. I agree as well.  Im going to use that money for actually going diving and completing my Dive Master.

     

    edit:

    I should also point out that I already own the EM5 mark 3 (and the EM1 mark 3 but the housing costs are too great for the EM1 mark 3)

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  6. I agree with Wolfgang that until the newly branded OM Systems begins to give some hint of what direction they will be headed Olympus has become all it can be. According to  DPReview the EM-1 III went backwards from EM-1 II.

    Only you can decide if your EM-5 III is worth the upgrade from the ELP-10.

    Since AOI built all of the older Olympus branded housing  and has now moved to their own system it seems like OM systems may pass on offering U/W equipment. So the question becomes will AOI support the new OM Systems offerings or move on to another brand. 

  7. On 10/27/2021 at 11:04 PM, Dann-Oh said:

    Hey All,

     

    I am currently using the Olympus EPL10 inside the AOI housing.  I also have an Olympus EM5 mark 3 I am wondering if there is any benefit to look into putting this camera in an AOI housing.  I understand that I would likely need to buy new ports for this housing (but ill be able to use the 60mm macro and 8mm fisheye from my EPL10).  I cant really tell by looking at the camera specs if there is any real benefit; I understand the max flash sync speed is the same (1/250th).

     

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    You don't necessarily need to buy new ports. There is an adapter that allows you to use PEN ports on OMD housings, so you can use your existing ports.

    For me the biggest improvement with the EM5III would be the AF with its phase detect and more buttons! But aside from that nothing more (high burst speeds, sensors, etc. can't be entirely utilized underwater). So far shooting with the EPL10 I am able to work with its contrast detect AF even with fast fish subjects, I just hit the focus lights on my strobes. There are definitely times where it hunts, but I am not too sure if the EM5III will give such big gains over the EPL10.

    I also think there are limitations to every camera, and we will always be wanting for more. So I just try to utilize the tools I have and find ways to work around the bugs and turn them into features. I have both the EPL10 and EM5III.

    Edited by Pomacentridae
  8. There's probably a few reasons to upgrade including using a viewfinder WHich with my eyesight ( slightly long sighted ) means the diopter adjustment is welcome From what I can the AOI housing uses the rear screen.  The AF is also a significant step up and the 60mm macro behaves much better than the EM-5- II I used to have on my EM-1 II - apparently AF is similar in EM-5 III.

    If you are patient A second hand aluminium housing won't be too different to a new AOI housing in a  year or two.

  9. 1 hour ago, ChrisRoss said:

    There's probably a few reasons to upgrade including using a viewfinder WHich with my eyesight ( slightly long sighted ) means the diopter adjustment is welcome From what I can the AOI housing uses the rear screen.  The AF is also a significant step up and the 60mm macro behaves much better than the EM-5- II I used to have on my EM-1 II - apparently AF is similar in EM-5 III.

    If you are patient A second hand aluminium housing won't be too different to a new AOI housing in a  year or two.

    I confirm Chris' observation that AF, when using the Zuiko 60mm Macro is substantially better on the EM1II PDAF sensor, when compared to the EM5II CAF, leading to more focus hunting on the latter. The situation is, much better on EM5II, when the Panasonic 45mm Macro is used (My wife and me own both the 60mm and the 45mm, I use both lenses UW). Therefore I recommend Dann to acquire the Panasonic 45mm Macro, instead of the 60mm, when staying with the EPL-10 (on EM1II, however, I prefer the 60mm, because of the somewhat greater working distance, when "real macro" is desired; but working distance ith the 45mm is still o.k.)...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  10. A great advantage of the Olympus EM camera's compared to the EPL camera's are the aperture and speed dials. In the EPL cameras you have to choose your settings in the menu system. I upgraded from an EPL7 to a EM5III, what a relief! I also appreciate that I can keep my eye to the electronic viewfinder to evaluate my shot directly after I took it.  

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.