Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

focus gear for Sony 90mm macro

Started by kramer92911 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

focus gear for Sony 90mm macro

6 posts
  1. I will soon be picking up my Nauticam  A1 housing and accessories while enroute to Bonaire for 3 weeks.  Having switched to Sony pre pandemic it will be my first time shooting Sony underwater.  For those shooting the Sony 90mm, should I be getting a focus gear for this lens?

     

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. I used to have a Sony A7 and a 90 mm lens. I found the autofocus very slow in low light. The lens might perform better with the new A1. Phil Ruddin might know more about this. But, the price and added weight of the focus gear being minimal, I would get one!

    BTW, we are looking at going to Bonaire in January from BC and are having issues finding flights. How are you getting there from TO?

  3. With the Sony A1 the 90mm macro is on another level for focus speed and accuracy. Like all modern auto focus macro lenses you get a bit shy of 1:1 using AF so if you want every last bit of magnification the focus gear can help. If I intend to shoot 1:1 and above with a closeup lens I just rack it out to life size and set the lens for MF. That way I am assured the highest magnification with or without a C/U lens like SMC-1 & 2. 

    If you want more info on using the A1 you can read my review in UWPMAG.com back issues #120, this is a free PDF download. You should also look at the blackwater diving in issue #121, to me BW is one of the most demanding types of U/W photography macro photography and the A1 and 90mm do a stellar job with unbeaten AF capability. The FE 90 macro is one of Sony's oldest lenses and a replacement with a more modern design will I am sure be even faster.

  4. 18 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:

    With the Sony A1 the 90mm macro is on another level for focus speed and accuracy. Like all modern auto focus macro lenses you get a bit shy of 1:1 using AF so if you want every last bit of magnification the focus gear can help. If I intend to shoot 1:1 and above with a closeup lens I just rack it out to life size and set the lens for MF. That way I am assured the highest magnification with or without a C/U lens like SMC-1 & 2. 

    If you want more info on using the A1 you can read my review in UWPMAG.com back issues #120, this is a free PDF download. You should also look at the blackwater diving in issue #121, to me BW is one of the most demanding types of U/W photography macro photography and the A1 and 90mm do a stellar job with unbeaten AF capability. The FE 90 macro is one of Sony's oldest lenses and a replacement with a more modern design will I am sure be even faster.

    Thanks Phil!

  5. 21 hours ago, D.K.S. said:

    I used to have a Sony A7 and a 90 mm lens. I found the autofocus very slow in low light. The lens might perform better with the new A1. Phil Ruddin might know more about this. But, the price and added weight of the focus gear being minimal, I would get one!

    BTW, we are looking at going to Bonaire in January from BC and are having issues finding flights. How are you getting there from TO?

    Thanks.  Going down, we are flying to Miami on Air Canada but overnighting in Miami so I can pick up my new housing at Reef Photo.  Then flying AA Miami to Bonaire.  On the way to home it is AA Bonaire to Miami then AA Miami to Toronto but only a brief stop in Miami.  We love Bonaire and have good friends that live there so visiting them is a bonus but also admit, getting there isn't always the easiest.

    Edited by kramer92911
  6. Thanks for the flight info.Enjoy your new A1-it will be one heck of a camera if it turns the sony 90mm into a "fast,accurate" lens.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.