Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Over Exposure

Started by jack r ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Over Exposure

5 posts
  1. I just got my new DS125 strobe and I took my camera into my pool last night (nikon cp500 - #6190 housing and ds125 strobe - sync cord) I was shooting macro and everything was completely over exposed. I am wondering if the ttl is working and if the stobe is functioning properly. I shot on aperture priority mostly with the highest f stop -f8. I varied the shutter speed all the way to 1/2000 and it was still over exposed. I move the flash to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and got the same results even at shutter speed 1/2000. I also changed the variable power on the speedlitght output on the camera to all extremes. Same with the EV control.

     

    What is the proper way to test this (on land) to make sure that the strobe is functioning properly?

  2. Make sure the strobe is set to TTL. Point the strobe at the camera's "TTL" sensor and take a shot. Only a tiny blip should come out of the strobe.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  3. I might be wrong, but I thought you only got TTL with the slave sensor, not with sync cord.

     

    That might be camera specific though.

  4. Can definitely get auto flash exposure with CP5000 , Ike housing, DS125, and TTL Ike synch cord.

     

    Make sure you are not covering the flash sensor. Set the cameras speed light function in the camera menu to - 2.0, If you are still getting overexposures then back off the strobe about 2 ft from the subject. Use the diffuser with the strobe.

     

    If you are still having problems try the camera on 1/8 th power. By varying the strobe dx you should get good exposures. Then you will know the cord , camera, and strobe are working properly.

  5. Ike's web site has instuctions on it on how to test their strobes.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.