Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How to stop discoloration/lens flare in UW photos?

Started by paulineadalid ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

How to stop discoloration/lens flare in UW photos?

8 posts
  1. Hi all, I've been experiencing this problem with my Seafrogs Sony a7siii underwater camera housing with 8" dry dome port. I noticed that recently, most of my underwater shots have this sort of discoloration happening. Any ideas what's causing this? In this photo, you can see a bit of a discoloration on the lower right side of the photo, making the water look a bit more yellow green than aqua. green.   532160466_Dive-2-min(1).thumb.jpg.ea63376d24fd2c923c5a142bed2a8087.jpg

  2. A little hard to diagnose just from the picture.  You will often get greeny water from algal blooms but this is isolated.  Going from the lighting is it possible the sun was hitting the glass dome?  Does it only happen on split shots? 

    One possibility is the camera if it is on auto WB has balanced the exposure for the UW portion which will be much bluer/greener than above water.  If you introduce some sunlight into the mix from sun flare on the dome it will be much warmer colour temperature and so add yellows/reds to the areas it is hitting. 

    If this is what is happening try keeping the sun behind you for split shots and keep it off the dome itself.  If it is more widespread and happens on fully UW shots perhaps it is a different cause and we would need to get some more details.

  3. Thanks for answering Chris! Here's more photos where I found the same problem. 1679257070_ScreenShot2021-11-01at11_45_48PM.thumb.png.a72e33b565432c88791df7ee6b22d191.pngIn this photo you can find the discoloration on the middle right portion of the photo. I shot this at noon when the sun was very high up and exposed. I'm not sure why it's happening though because the camera was underwater when I shot this. 

    Edited by paulineadalid
  4. 30 minutes ago, paulineadalid said:

    Thanks for answering Chris! Here's more photos where I found the same problem. In this photo you can find the discoloration on the middle right portion of the photo. I shot this at noon when the sun was very high up and exposed. I'm not sure why it's happening though because the camera was underwater when I shot this. 

    It's hard to be sure, I'm assuming it's not happening on all shots and not happening on land?  It does seem to be in the same general area on all the photos.  Is it always on the right hand side of shot?   Maybe test out some shots indoors in even lighting in and out of the housing and light source in front of and behind you to see that it's not something in the camera itself.

  5. If it were back in the days of film, I would be guessing the camera had been left with the lens pointing into the sun and hence burned. I wonder if the same could happen with a digital sensor?

  6. 2 hours ago, JohnLiddiard said:

    If it were back in the days of film, I would be guessing the camera had been left with the lens pointing into the sun and hence burned. I wonder if the same could happen with a digital sensor?

    Possible I guess but testing on land should also show the colouration if this had happened.

  7. 12 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    It's hard to be sure, I'm assuming it's not happening on all shots and not happening on land?  It does seem to be in the same general area on all the photos.  Is it always on the right hand side of shot?   Maybe test out some shots indoors in even lighting in and out of the housing and light source in front of and behind you to see that it's not something in the camera itself.

    Testing it in even lighting is a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. My camera shoots fine, I tried taking some shots without the UW housing. Also, the discoloration's not happening on all shots. Only for some of them. And it's almost always on the right hand side of the shot. I'm guessing at a specific position/angle it happens and also considering the influence of the sun? Has this ever happened to you?

  8. Are you using the dome shade for the housing? If so, I know the seafrog's shade can rotate around the dome so maybe try rotating it?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.