Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

First Day Shooting Underwater; Please give me feedback!

Started by shakuiel ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

First Day Shooting Underwater; Please give me feedback!

4 posts
  1. Wow, shakuiel, if these were your first underwater shots, you did well. 

    I like the way you isolated the subjects from the backgrounds either through neutral space or just finding a clean background. So the shots are uncluttered which draws your eye to the subject.  The images look nicely sharp and, for the most part, shooting up, again, makes the subject stand out. So great composition.

    The only (slightly) negative thing I found was that the lighting is a bit uneven - especially on the hawkfish and the blenny. There's a good bit of shadow for example on the nose of the hawkfish but maybe there was some coral between your strobe and the subject. 

    But these are counsels of perfection and if these are your first attempt, I think you should be well pleased with them. Nice work!

  2. 3 hours ago, TimG said:

    Wow, shakuiel, if these were your first underwater shots, you did well. 

    I like the way you isolated the subjects from the backgrounds either through neutral space or just finding a clean background. So the shots are uncluttered which draws your eye to the subject.  The images look nicely sharp and, for the most part, shooting up, again, makes the subject stand out. So great composition.

    The only (slightly) negative thing I found was that the lighting is a bit uneven - especially on the hawkfish and the blenny. There's a good bit of shadow for example on the nose of the hawkfish but maybe there was some coral between your strobe and the subject. 

    But these are counsels of perfection and if these are your first attempt, I think you should be well pleased with them. Nice work!

    I appreciate the feedback greatly! I was only using a video light (with a snoot lol). I definitely got ahead of myself, and the backscatter MF-1 they sent was defective so I had to mail that back. Excited for that to arrive back so I can get better lighting and black backgrounds. Definitely did as much research as I could on technique, etc., before I went underwater

  3. Shakuiel - definitely a great start for your underwater photography! You must not be new to photography in general, because your composition skills are excellent. 

    There's so much to learn in underwater photography, and there's such a variety of subjects and situations to shoot. I can see that macro is going to be your thing. 

    Best of luck as you pursue your hobby!

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.