Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Advice needed post flood......

Started by chrism ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Advice needed post flood......

3 posts
  1. Advice needed post flood......

    They say not if, but when,,,,,,

     

    Had a goodly amount of water collecting in the dome, entering through a control shaft on the back of the housing that was not sealed. I held the rig port down until I could get out of the water and dry things off. Dive time was 4 minutes, so it was a quick dip for the camera.

     

    Camera was wet, some water on battery, none I could visually see in the batt. compartment. A drop or two on the CF card. None in the lens, none in the camera body that I could visually see with the lens removed.

     

    All functions of the camera appear to work. What is the wisest course of action? Send it to Canon to be looked at?

     

    Housing - I found the source of the leak, can fix that myself, but electronics appear to be shot - electornic shutter release doesn't work, hotshoe won't fire strobe.

     

    Thoughts? ideas? advice?

     

    Camera and housing insured via DAN

     

    Thanks

     

    Chris

  2. Chris, If the camera takes pictures, I think it'll be OK. Take the battery and CP flash out and leave the it open to dry completely. If it still takes pictures after a day of drying, it should be OK.

     

    The trigger switch and sync hotshoe are simple parts to replace. Have Aquatica send them to you. You may be able to fix them yourself by cleaning the contacts.

     

    Which control shaft was not sealed? How did it happen?

  3. I agree with Herb. If it's digital and it works after drying out - then it works.

     

    Sorry to hear about your flood Chris. Please post any lessons learned for us when you get a chance.

     

    Cheers

    James

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.