Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Workflow for D70 - comments welcome

Started by woody ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Workflow for D70 - comments welcome

2 posts
  1. Workflow for D70 - comments welcome

    Hi All,

     

    Having finally decided to join the "big boys" and move up from my CP5000 setup to a dSLR, I bit the bullet and purchased a D70. So far I have not purchased a housing for this camera, however I am working on getting to grips with it topside.

     

    Having always shot JPG, I decided to start playing around with RAW. I am so far using Nikon Capture and Photoshop CS, and I came across this suggestion for a processing workflow - http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/setup.html

     

    It seems simple enough and makes sense, and I feel I have learned quite a bit through applying in on a couple of shots. But what threw me was the final step of using Photoshop Unsharp Mask to "restore blackness" (http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/processing/process.html).

     

    Trying this out on an image I shot, I ended up with a load of "oversharpened" specks - cannot really explain it better! Is this technique a normal use of USM - I had never come across it before, in my limited experience. Maybe I simply used the technique poorly.

     

    Grateful for any comments and opinions.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Woody

  2. hi woody -

     

    depending on how much unsharpening you do those specks can show up. typical setting for amount are around 100 - 200 %, radius of 1 and threshold between 2 and 4.

     

    if it is a wide angle photo with lots of blue separate the picutre into channels (red, blue and green) and you will see that one of those channels is a little granier. Apply the unsharp mask to the other channels but not the granier one...this will usually give a better result. There are lots of other ways to sharpen pictures (using lab color) that are exaplained in Scott Kelby's book "The photoshop cs book" I try a few different techniques until I get the best result for each photo..

     

    M.

     

    ps. i just read that second link and his suggestion to run unsharp mask a second time for black restoration is new to me. i usually run once with a higher amount setting than he initially suggested.. something new to try!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.