Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Taking a step forward

Started by heubie ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Taking a step forward

14 posts
  1. I'm making photo's and video's for about 3 years know using my Olypus PEn e-pl6 in a pt-ep10 underwater case. I started with kit lens since it had a gear ring which let me use the zoom function.

    This is a MFT camera and since I use a Panasonic GH5 for al my "dry land" photo and video I use its 12-35 lens on the PEN in  the same case. Because of quality of this lens I saw improvement in quality of both  photo and video. So the next logical step is to take my GH5 below the surface. But this means I have to spent "some" money. I really can use some help on what to choose and if I should go for new (and therefore expensive housing) or should I go for used (but where to find an affordable but also trusted vendor)

    Al input is welcome.

  2. A lot of people buy off of the classifieds section here on wetpixel. My whole new upgrade (from gh5) came off of here. I have a few items left like the flash trigger for gh5 available and I think one port I don’t remember for which lens but can check. 

  3. New or Used: not an easy one as much depends on personal preference. 

    There are lots of people here who want New And Shiny (yeah, that can include me) - and also lots who use the Classifieds and get some really great deals. As the saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes your chances".

    The Classifieds do have a good reputation for good, honest deals. You can get a bargain. (I've sold gear where the buyer really got a bargain!) Read carefully: how long has the seller been a member? Is he/she someone who posts often? Is the equipment described well? Photos? Are the email/PM exchanges helpful, constructive, timely? All these are indicators of who you might be doing business with. 

    With patience and a little luck, you can get a great deal. But for many, nothing beats a new box and a shiny brand new piece of equipment.

     

  4. 2 hours ago, heubie said:

    I'm making photo's and video's for about 3 years know using my Olypus PEn e-pl6 in a pt-ep10 underwater case. I started with kit lens since it had a gear ring which let me use the zoom function.

    This is a MFT camera and since I use a Panasonic GH5 for al my "dry land" photo and video I use its 12-35 lens on the PEN in  the same case. Because of quality of this lens I saw improvement in quality of both  photo and video. So the next logical step is to take my GH5 below the surface. But this means I have to spent "some" money. I really can use some help on what to choose and if I should go for new (and therefore expensive housing) or should I go for used (but where to find an affordable but also trusted vendor)

    Al input is welcome.

    There is quite a reasonable range of housings available for the GH-5 and a range of prices between $US1700 and $US4800, then of course you will need to buy ports and other items.  A bit of patience can get you a good deal in the classifieds of course as Tim says.

  5. The GH6 is right around the corner and I have the feeling a lot of GH5 setups will be up on sale soon (unless the GH6 fits in the GH5 housings :D )

  6. Thank you all for the quick response. Waiting on the GH6 might be a very good idea. I think I will be posting a "wanted" in the classifieds section in the near future.....

    Apart from the pricing any suggestion on brands? I watched a number of reviews but real hands on experiences without commercial load are hard to find.

  7. Backscatter lists 6 housings for the GH5, Seacam, Subal, Nauitcam, Aquatica, Isotta and ikelite.  The first 5 are aluminium housings and all of them will do a nice job, some are more user friendly than others of course.  The Ikelite is cheaper and is built to a price, it'll get the job done of course but there are some limitations. 

    I would suggest thinking about what lenses you would like to house and seeing what options are available in the way of ports and if they support your lenses with a zoom gear for example.   Just google "Housing brand" port charts" to see the list of supported lenses for each brand.  

    Also look at how they offer vacuum check - each way has it's advantages, some of the housings will have the vacuum electronics pre-installed and you might need to add a valve.  Also work out what extras you might need - flash trigger, strobe mounting balls, extra handle etc.  This way you'll know what you need in addition to the housing if you spot one for sale.

    I use a Nauticam housing for my Olympus EM-1 mkII and it does a great job - easy to use.

  8. On 12/6/2021 at 9:57 PM, lwang0622 said:

    A lot of people buy off of the classifieds section here on wetpixel. My whole new upgrade (from gh5) came off of here. I have a few items left like the flash trigger for gh5 available and I think one port I don’t remember for which lens but can check. 

    I bought only one new housing in my life 

  9. On 12/7/2021 at 2:33 AM, Aquatic Images said:

    unless the GH6 fits in the GH5 housings :D 

    Shhhhh! Never Say Never :D

     

  10. 11 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

    I bought only one new housing in my life 

    Of course this means that you are never on the verge of technology...

    But except you work for BBC I think this is not a problem (see my signature).

  11. Your statements on new gear is very true, but if I compare the level of my "on land" video's on my GH5 to the once shot on the PEN 6 unwater there is a rather big difference......

    The only way to make sure it's the gear and not my skills is to take the GH5 underwater and hope I can level the performance........:unsure:

  12. Well, don't misunderstand me. Pen 6 and GH5 are on a different league but I think that the big difference underwater is the lens and port you use. Of course with a Gopro you cannot get macro clips as with a GH5 but I can't think of anything I couldn't do with the GH5 because I need the GH6. Then there are many other reasons to buy the latest model: you're an enthusiast with an unlimited budget, you sell stock footage, you're a professional working for cinema and TV, just to name a few.

    Maybe it's just me being weird but 90% of the time I stop watching a video it's not because of the image quality but because I find it so boring. Hence my signature.

    Edited by Davide DB
  13. 2 hours ago, Davide DB said:

    Maybe it's just me being weird but 90% of the time I stop watching a video it's not because of the quality but because I find it so boring. Hence my signature.

    Amen to that!

  14. You both so wright but the first step of sharing your art is to be proud and confident enough of it, to even share it with the world. As it is now I do with the overland clips but the underwater part..... :unsure:

    Maybe rent a housing for the GH5 and make some test shots before spending the money on one of my own.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.