Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Sony A7C shots in Honolulu

Started by imacro ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A7C shots in Honolulu

8 posts
  1. Sharing some shots I took yesterday. Looking for feedbacks on how to improve. I shot with Sony A7C WWL-1C 2 inon z330.

     

    ab99f2b86beaca1a10324c25c1e23986.jpg

    6c270c81bbed1292b1de3a0e89195bac.jpg

    15f81e6f54745bd958dd4890b42eb1e5.jpg

    7b8e31d985254a77129d8db561a647f4.jpg

    af019aca3329dd026997d7b41546c29c.jpg

    bd3973470fb5efea4f2be159917e3d11.jpg

    16166dcee247531821273e48656a6ad6.jpg

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Hi imacro

    A couple of thoughts:

    I like the turtle shots - especially the directly overhead one where you have created strong lines and an almost graphical image. You've isolated nicely the head-on turtle shot against the blue which, again, produces a strong, clear image,

    It's the isolation of the subjects that you might like to look at in the scorpionfish and spotted moray shots. The subject tends to disappear into the background. If your aim is to show how marine creatures can camouflage themselves, then fine.

    But if you are looking for a strong image, I'd suggest trying to find a way of isolating the creature from its background. This might be through a more acute angle perhaps shooting up against the blue rather than down. I appreciate that this is easier said than done (no-one said u/w photography was easy, right?); or maybe a wider aperture to restrict death of field (this would work well with the last moray image and give it punch).

    Trying to identify the neutral space in the field of view works quite well, I think. Find that and then figure out how to angle the photograph to get a good portion of the critter into that space. If angles won't work, is there a mono-colour nearby (or the blue) which you can use or which, fingers crossed, the critter might move into? Quite often I'll look for neutral spaces or mono-colours and see what's swimming around which might land on it. So picking the background before the subject. Sounds counter-intuitive but it can result in some strong images.

    Usual counsels of perfection..... :crazy:

    Edited by TimG
  3. Great feedbacks thank you. Idk a good way to isolate the stone fish. They camouflage so well into the bg and I did not have any good angle to get them into the blue or different color. I’ll play with Depth of Field next time.

    The eel is not a good shot but i found it is funny to share since it touched my lens and i quickly snapped it.

    I’m still learning to get the subject isolation and composition to make the photos pop after getting the basic of lighting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. 712e62bf3c1e1c4f0fa901da1bac6f63.jpg
    Here is another stone fish where there are more angle to play with. I took as low as I could and try to avoid the little rock behind. I adjusted the light up pointing down but the fish is still not isolated enough. How would you have taken this shot?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. 14 minutes ago, imacro said:

    How would you have taken this shot?

    Bit hard to say without seeing the whole scene. Not easy for sure. With a 45-degree finder I might have been tempted to shoot upwards from a point about 1" - 1.5" in from the photo right-hand corner. So with the housing pretty much on the rubble. With a shallowish depth of field you'd get the head in focus but not the high reef behind and - maybe - include the sun burst.

    Of course I may've taken one look and thought, "meeh". And swam on......  It kinda depends on whether you are determined to photograph the fish you see or really want to capture a dramatic image. One shot that does both is always nice!

  6. Nice sharp images!
    I've got two questions: any particular reason you've chosen the wwl-C over the wwl-1/1B? Nauticam lists the latter on their A7C chart. Although the former is of course slightly smaller and cheaper.

    And second question: are you using the Z330's on manual settings or TTL? I'm curious how well other camera's perform. (my Olympus TTL performance is quite mixed)

  7. Nice sharp images!

    I've got two questions: any particular reason you've chosen the wwl-C over the wwl-1/1B? Nauticam lists the latter on their A7C chart. Although the former is of course slightly smaller and cheaper.

    And second question: are you using the Z330's on manual settings or TTL? I'm curious how well other camera's perform. (my Olympus TTL performance is quite mixed)

    Thanks. I had a typo. I’m using WWL-1B. I’m using manual setting on Z330s. TTL never works well for me.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. A few more photos

    bd5f2c8a0221c28346e52981079deb37.jpg
    6a76e8f86d598499ae1f559aaf946a5e.jpg
    04445efd1fb99148b3441291a312128b.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.