Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Do all arm clamps perform more or less the same?

Started by aussie_bubbles ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Do all arm clamps perform more or less the same?

7 posts
  1. Hi all, 

    Apologies if this topic has been covered. I couldn't find anything on relevant while searching so thought I'd ask (hopefully not again).

    In your experience do all clamps perform more or less the same? I have a drawer full of clamps from number of brands over the years, such as Weefine, Nitescuba, U.N. and some generic cheapies off AliExpress which to date are working fine. I basically keep an eye out for bargains and buy whichever are the cheapest I could find. I've not had any trouble with them and most have lasted years (except for two which required an angle grinder to remove.)

    I'm not in any great need for new ones, I still have some "bargains" unused in there original packaging. But, I've never bought Aquatica, Nauticam, Isotta or any other more premium brand clamps and was wondering whether I'm missing out on some usability improvements these might offer. 

    Any opinions, strong or otherwise?

    Cheers,

    Duncan

  2. I used to use generic ones from Aliexpress, until, by happenstance, I tried a couple Ultralight ones (my luggage containing all the arms and clamps got delayed, I had a 10-day liveaboard coming up the next day, so I had to buy what was available locally in Cebu City). There's a world of difference - they grip better when tightened, move in a more controlled fashion when slightly loosened, and in general are easier to operate. Since then I have replaced almost all my clamps with ULCS - just got two triple ones remaining that are generic, and when I am using them, the difference is stark. On the next available opportunity I'm going to replace those with ULCS clamps as well.

  3. I've got Nauticam clamps/arms with INON float arms and they've always worked well for me, haven't compared them to cheap ones my self, but plenty of people on here seem to think it's worth getting quality items.  On land they can be a little floppy but UW they just go where you put them and stay there.  

  4. I prefer these. Here's why: I don't have to look at them when I'm loosening or tightening, and I find them slightly easier to turn. Alas, they're out of production; formerly known as Aquatica TLC clamps.

    Tom

    sans-titre.png

  5. My first clamps were the bargain type (brand was D&D), initally good performance but after about a year of use they became very weak. Now I use Nauticam and UCLS and they endure now for years...

    Similar situation with the arms: first cheap D&D, replaced later by Nauticam. No difference in the strenght of clamping, but Nauticam arms are considerably lighter, especially good for air travel...

    When I consider the amount of money spent for the entire UW photography equipment, the cost for clamps and arms is a very small part. I will not go for cheapos again, in the long term they are even more expensive since one buys double...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  6. Amazing, thank you everyone for the advice. 

  7. Bit late to the party, but I agree with the guys: buy once, buy well. My ULCS clamps and arms are just coming up on 20 years old. Never a problem with them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.