I'm off to the Maldives in Feb/Mar (Fulidhoo) and whilst there is some macro there, it's not indo macro of course. I'd like to bring my macro gear to try out a couple of dives, but I was wondering if I should ask about night dives there (apart from the famous Alimatha) and whether bonfire would be a good idea?
I've done a few blackwater dives before, but only one bonfire in Anilao. We stuck a few torches in the sand, pointed them up, went on a 20 minute dive and came back to a few things, incl. squid ![]()
So my questions are:
1. Under what conditions/waters should bonfire be attempted?
2. Is it trial and error or are there tell tale signs where you know if a dive site is better suited for bonfire?
3. What's the optimal set up if you've only got normal night diving lights?
Thanks!