I have seen a few images being shared by underwater photographers of "inflated" pufferfish on social media.
In one case, the photographer was actually celebrating the fact that he had sold a print-which happened to be of an inflated pufferfish!
When questioned, the photographer stated: "i understand your initial questioning of the photo. if you believe what we've been told about puffer fish puffing up being bad for them ,this "puffers can only puff up one time" is a load of balls lol this guy was inflating and deflating when any fish came near it in the same way a trigger puts up its trigger. In open water this is a very common state to find these little guys in. i now have a lot of puffed up puffer pics. when they are supper small its hard to find them not like it"
While I would suggest that in general, capturing and sharing images of any animal while it is stressed is not a great idea ethically, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to discover where the theory comes from that suggests that inflation is bad for the animals.
I tracked down a study done by James Cook University (https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rsbl.2014.0823) that suggests that it takes 5.6 hours for a fish's metabolism to return to normal after an inflation. So while it is indeed incorrect to assert to state that causing a fish to inflate will kill it, this suggests that it is not good for them!
Does anyone else have any science that documents the effects that inflation has on these animals?