On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, ChrisRoss said:
I assume you are talking about a Nauticam housing with a removable back? I know some people recommend not pulling it out every time, however if you have a lot of hairs flying around, I can understand being nervous about them getting on the o-ring.
Yes, NA-XT3 with removable back. I remove and clean/dry the o-ring when shore-diving, when I find water between the o-ring and its groove, or after a few dives.
On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, ChrisRoss said:
I'm wondering if you are not picking up hairs that settle on the o-ring while it is drying? I'm not sure you need to wash the o-ring unless it is particularly dirty.
Most of the times, yes. They are really small fluffs, that probably never cause a water flow, but I am very maniac with the o-ring cleaning, and they get me nervous anyway...
On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, ChrisRoss said:
The o-ring is then inspected any hairs blown off with a blower bulb, running o-ring very gently through my fingers.
I find blowing the o-ring causes statics on it, so it tends to attract more fluffs...
On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 PM, ChrisRoss said:
If you try out a new cleaning regime I suggest pulling a vacuum and checking it then and there rather than waiting for just before your next dive to check.
Seems a good idea
On 1/14/2022 at 1:16 AM, TimG said:
Chris makes a good point on the vacuum valve. Do you have one? I would have thought that would give you a good chance of detecting any problem before getting into the water
I do. I normally do the vacuum check a few hours before the dive, but doing it after the o-ring maintenance seems a good practice...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, pbalves said:
As stated before by Chris and Tim, having Beagle, cat, gorilla, bird, monkey, allien or PET-free house, the vacuum system is the way to go.
It take you to an extra level of peace of mind, and allows you to have an extra validation not only if the regular o-ring maintenance was done properly but also if something when wrong on the normal operation of the housing.
To give you an example, I once forgot to remove the eye protector on my camera and that was enough to the housing no be closed properly and the vacuum test was the alert that allowed me not to flood the system.
Yes, I agree you, I bougt the vacuum system together with the housing, because I wanted that peace of mind, but the flying fluffs still annoy me, so that's why I was wondering about some kind of anti-statics shoap...
Anyway thank you all for your advises, I will keep been carefull and trusting my vacuum system.
Elipe.