Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Mounting ring Nauticam viewfinder for Ikelite discontinued ?

Started by VOL ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Mounting ring Nauticam viewfinder for Ikelite discontinued ?

6 posts
  1. I placed an order for a Nauticam 45 viewfinder for my Ikelite housing. Just now my dealer told me the ring to mount it on my Ikelite housing has been discounted !!!

     

    https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/nauticam-viewfinder-adapter-ring-ikelite

    Did  a search on the internet, all dealers are sold out except one in the Philippines, nothing on eBay either. Anybody here have one of those rings for sale ? 

     

    What to do ? Go with the Ikelite 45 viewfinder instead ? I was really set on the Nauticam one because optics seem to be superior, diopter adjustments and it can be turned sideways !

  2.  When I needed an adapter for my Nauticam 45 viewfinder to an Isotta housing, was told there were none. But as Isotta uses the Inon vf's, I got the Nauticam to Inon adapter from Backscatter and it works fine.

    In your case, maybe first ask Ikelite, or Backscatter to find one for you.
    In my day, Ikelite used inches (hard to believe, I know) for its equipment specs, and I hope they have switched to metric to join the rest of the diving world. 

    But maybe the first step is to contact Ikelite, ask if they have adapters or can modify the housing to accept the Nauticam viewfinder.

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. I would talk to Backscatter as well, they note they have adapted the INON finder to many different housings on this page:

    https://www.backscatter.com/Inon-45-Angled-Underwater-Housing-Viewfinder

    It is a relatively simple machining job to make an adapter.  The Nauticam adapters are smooth internal surface as the o-rings are on the viewfinder nose and the viewfinder is retained by an o-ring.  There are probably other viewfinder options that could be fitted including SAGA and INON.

  4. Thank you both - I have reached out to a few places now, the first being Nauticam. Why would they discontinue an item needed to sell their viewfinders to owners of another platform ? Have also asked Backscatter and Ikelite as suggested.

    I feel a little uncomfortable to have a machinist make this item for me - seems a bit risky.

    Will report back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. 27 minutes ago, VOL said:


    I feel a little uncomfortable to have a machinist make this item for me - seems a bit risky.

     

    I don't see what the concern is, the adapter is quite low tech it needs a smooth internal surface at the exact diameter of the Nauticam adapters and the right length so the o-ring will retain it.  It also needs and o-ring to seal against the the ikelite housing back.  You could also try contacting SAGA as I have heard they do custom adapters.

  6. If I had a sample it would be easy to copy but without any reference it seems too dangerous to risk. Maybe I’m lucky and the place in Manila has one in store and can ship it. Have also written to Nauticam expressing my surprise that they would discontinue an item that enables sales of their product. Let’s wait and see.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.