Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Laptop for occasional lightroom

Started by waterpixel ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Laptop for occasional lightroom

7 posts
  1. Conscious this is more of a computer than a photography issue but I am looking for a cheap laptop that I can use during liveaboard trips (lightroom Cloud/Classic and occasional PS).

    I currently am using a powerful and capable desktop computer (the laptop won't be my main computer)

    Can anyone tell me if a laptop with 16GB RAM and integrated graphic chipset can do the job (like Intel 620 HD) ?

     

    My only requirements are

    • -No Mac
    •  Budget ~ 700USD max / 500GBP / 600EUR

     

    Thank you

  2. Thanks Chris! Do you know if 16gb RAM is enough for seemless Lightroom?

    I have 64gb on my desktop and this software is a pig in terms of memory eating (not sure this idiom translates well in English!) - it just takes all of the free memory I throw at it..

  3. 12 minutes ago, waterpixel said:

    Thanks Chris! Do you know if 16gb RAM is enough for seemless Lightroom?

    I have 64gb on my desktop and this software is a pig in terms of memory eating (not sure this idiom translates well in English!) - it just takes all of the free memory I throw at it..

    I don't use Lightroom so can't help there.  I'm sure it'll work but potentially it'll be slow.  I have an older laptop with similar specs and it runs Photoshop CS6 and Capture One just fine. 

    You could consider a cut down software set for on the road use if you don't want to spend too much - I doubt you need cataloging capability of Lightroom on the road, more the quick review and cull and browsing functions.  If Lightroom is too much of a problem you could use bridge for review or something like Breezebrowser Pro might be significantly cheaper than spending the money needed to keep Lightroom happy on a laptop and it's very fast for reviewing.

     

  4. That's actually the best solution - Thanks Chris! Will have a look at Breezebrowser.

    Edited by waterpixel
  5. 1 hour ago, waterpixel said:

    That's actually the best solution - Thanks Chris! Will have a look at Breezebrowser.

    You could always try it out first to see how it copes with a cheap laptop I guess.  The next step up of laptops with 32GB of RAM seem start at $1500-$1600 at least on B&H to get 32GB RAM and other features. 

    Breezebrowser has a 30 day fully functioning trial as I recall so you can give it a good try once you have the laptop.  It also has allowed one laptop and one desktop install when I purchased .  I've had Breezebrowser for a while I've always liked it as it is pretty fast and if you set to high quality previews gives a good impression of how the image might look processed.

     

  6. I realize the brief is for a non-Apple laptop and more memory is always good but FWIW I've got 16Gb of RAM and an SSD in an iMac and it's running LR Classic just fine

    Edited by troporobo — Clarification

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.