Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Equipment insurance?

Started by VOL ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Equipment insurance?

9 posts
  1. Do you good people have your gear insured ? If so, what providers do you use and what kind of coverage ?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Hey Vol

    its worth doing a search. This issue has come up a few times.

    A good few members said they were using their household contents insurance. Others through specialists. 
     

    I’ve got my photography gear, including the u/w stuff, on my household insurance

  3. Hey Vol
    its worth doing a search. This issue has come up a few times.
    A good few members said they were using their household contents insurance. Others through specialists. 
     
    I’ve got my photography gear, including the u/w stuff, on my household insurance

    Thanks I did a search but all I got was hits in the for sale section when people talk about shipping and insurance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. I insure mine through a special rider on my homeowners insurance (State Farm). Similar to how one might get a rider for your special jewelry.  I've used it once for a flood and once for a big scratch on my dome port.  I've also had some luck with travel insurance - although there is usually a limit (like $250 - $500 USD) per item.  Its under  "baggage"  reimbursement although you wouldn't think so.  Luggage / baggage is not just what you put in the belly of the plane.  I once dropped a lens on a dive boat and $500 was covered under my travel insurance policy.  The lens cost more than that - but $500 was better than nothing.  I was surprised it was covered at all. 

  5. Go through DAN

  6. If you are eligible for USAA (former or current military), they offer an all risk, no deductible policy called Valuable Personal Property. I’ve had a couple claims over the years for damaged cameras and lens. Once I have documentation, they paid the entire cost promptly and without question. Plus it’s relatively inexpensive. 1-2% of declared value.

  7. I used to go through Divemaster insurance (UK) but what they covered was what you paid - depreciation, so after a few years, the market value of what you owned was significantly lower than what you hoped to claim back.

    No insurance for me nowadays

  8. Here you go:
     
     

    Thanks !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.