Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cannot fit the retaining o Ring for Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder

Started by VOL ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

Cannot fit the retaining o Ring for Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder

20 posts
  1. 19bb7687c36eaa8a5c2c3c0758b064e6.jpg

    70e7ac971596058da3754aa13b3e12ae.jpg

    Hello there I just got a new #33203 Nauticam 45 viewfinder for my Ikelite housing and the #33103 Ikelite Viewfinder adaptor.

     

    Everything seems fine except the shaft of the viewfinder does not go in deep enough to secure the retaining O ring on the inside (see photos).

     

    Am I missing something ?

     

    It fits fine when I don’t install the so called indexing ring friction o ring and the friction ring but that doesn’t seem right. 3343786054f6130588cce2124d92c8de.jpg

     

     

    ee1b1a674673a8689600e79790a60a1b.jpg

     

    Any ideas ?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Have you rotated the viewfinder to seat the pins in the holes in the adapter holes, and you have screwed down the the retaining ring tight?  You might also need to push the viewfinder in a bit as well. 
    Assume you've seen the installation video?:  https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/nauticam-viewfinder-adapter-ring-ikelite
     

    Yes and yes. Tried tightening it all the way but it’s missing 2-3mm, no way to squeeze it any more.

    I’ve now installed it without the indexing ring and o ring. I’ve done a vacuum seal on it and seems to work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. 17 minutes ago, VOL said:


    Yes and yes. Tried tightening it all the way but it’s missing 2-3mm, no way to squeeze it any more.

    I’ve now installed it without the indexing ring and o ring. I’ve done a vacuum seal on it and seems to work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I would still ask about it, perhaps from who you purchased it from?  The indexing ring is designed so that the sealing o-rings don't rotate inside the adapter and the Nauticam housings have a similar arrangement.  The rotation mechanism is built into the viewfinder itself.  I'm assuming there must be a reason for that - perhaps the or-rings are not designed to rotate and may work OK initially but may wear over time?

    The only function of the friction o-ring seems to be stop the indexing ring rotating - will it fit with the retaining ring but without the o-ring?

  4. I do not use an Ikelite adapter, but had a similar problem with my Nauticam 45° viewfinder in Nauticam housing: upon installation the retaining O-ring did not fit, as there was too little space left, similar to your situation...

    The problem is that the opening in the housing, as well as the "go-through" part of the viewfinder are not all around circle shaped, but there is, a chord that intersects the circular shape. One needs to perfectly align this chord in the opening with the chord on the viewfinder to get the last mm of plug-in to make the retaining O-ring fit...

    Maybe you face a similar problem with the viewfinder/adapter connection?

    I would not use the setup when the viewfinder is not installed as it sould be, even when vacuum is present...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. I'm wondering if the holes in the indexing ring are meant to line up with the holes I can see in main body of the mounting ring?  You could place the indexing ring over the viewfinder to see if the pins on the viewfinder protrude through the holes or not.

  6. I do not use an Ikelite adapter, but had a similar problem with my Nauticam 45° viewfinder in Nauticam housing: upon installation the retaining O-ring did not fit, as there was too little space left, similar to your situation...
    The problem is that the opening in the housing, as well as the "go-through" part of the viewfinder are not all around circle shaped, but there is, a chord that intersects the circular shape. One needs to perfectly align this chord in the opening with the chord on the viewfinder to get the last mm of plug-in to make the retaining O-ring fit...
    Maybe you face a similar problem with the viewfinder/adapter connection?
    I would not use the setup when the viewfinder is not installed as it sould be, even when vacuum is present...
     
    Wolfgang

    Thanks for the reply - not sure what you mean by chord ? What’s the German word for it ? Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. I would still ask about it, perhaps from who you purchased it from?  The indexing ring is designed so that the sealing o-rings don't rotate inside the adapter and the Nauticam housings have a similar arrangement.  The rotation mechanism is built into the viewfinder itself.  I'm assuming there must be a reason for that - perhaps the or-rings are not designed to rotate and may work OK initially but may wear over time?
    The only function of the friction o-ring seems to be stop the indexing ring rotating - will it fit with the retaining ring but without the o-ring?

    Yes it fits with the metal ring without the o ring.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. 47 minutes ago, VOL said:


    Thanks for the reply - not sure what you mean by chord ? What’s the German word for it ? Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    chord means "Kreissehne": The diameter of the put-through part of the viewfinder is not a perfect circle, but is a circle that has been cut by a chord (it matters only in the last 1-2mm):

    chord.png.8c0bd3d8ef71b683062eb1e28432d69e.png

    The flat "chord" of both viewfinder and opening need to be aligned at the last 1-2mm to give a perfect fitting and make placement of the O-ring possible...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  9. 6 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

    chord means "Kreissehne": The diameter of the put-through part of the viewfinder is not a perfect circle, but is a circle that has been cut by a chord (it matters only in the last 1-2mm):

    chord.png.8c0bd3d8ef71b683062eb1e28432d69e.png

    The flat "chord" of both viewfinder and opening need to be aligned at the last 1-2mm to give a perfect fitting and make placement of the O-ring possible...

     

    Wolfgang

    Hi Wolfgang, I think that is for the Mirrorless (33205) version of the viewfinder.  The DSLR version uses two pins to prevent rotation.

     

  10. chord means "Kreissehne": The diameter of the put-through part of the viewfinder is not a perfect circle, but is a circle that has been cut by a chord (it matters only in the last 1-2mm):
    chord.png.8c0bd3d8ef71b683062eb1e28432d69e.png
    The flat "chord" of both viewfinder and opening need to be aligned at the last 1-2mm to give a perfect fitting and make placement of the O-ring possible...
     
    Wolfgang

    Thanks for then example - mine is perfectly round so unfortunately no luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks for then example - mine is perfectly round so unfortunately no luck


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Ok so I mounted the viewfinder without this oring - the function of which still eludes me.

    Have taken it on four dives now - the housing is tight, holds the vacuum so I guess I won’t worry about it. Thanks for all the input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. I have a related but not quite related question.  I have the 45 and the 180 viewfinder. I've always been too chicken to test but is one able to safely rotate the 45 degree viewfinder either direction while in water in  use to change the camera orientation?

  13. 4 minutes ago, jchance said:

    I've always been too chicken to test but is one able to safely rotate the 45 degree viewfinder either direction while in water

    LOL, I always have that same feeling with my Subal 45-degree finder.

    I'll let the Nauticam users give you their considered reply but no problem with the Subal one. But yeah, always slight angst.....

    When setting up my system I always make sure the ring holding the finder inplace - inside the housing - is firm; and once the vacuum is set, I always give the finder a few twists to offer it the opportunity to leak (and the vacuum valve warn me) before we get in the water together. 

  14. I have a related but not quite related question.  I have the 45 and the 180 viewfinder. I've always been too chicken to test but is one able to safely rotate the 45 degree viewfinder either direction while in water in  use to change the camera orientation?

    They are meant to be rotated - I have not really done so so far but yes absolutely can be done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. 2 hours ago, jchance said:

    I have a related but not quite related question.  I have the 45 and the 180 viewfinder. I've always been too chicken to test but is one able to safely rotate the 45 degree viewfinder either direction while in water in  use to change the camera orientation?

    They are designed that way - at least for the Nauticam viewfinder the rotation mechanism is built into the viewfinder and the mounting nose with the o-rings is locked to the the viewfinder adapter in the housing back so the o-rings in there cannot rotate.  I'm not sure why that is - possibly to prevent wear on the o-rings or to prevent the retaining o-ring from rotating and wearing on the end of the adapter??

  16. On 2/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, VOL said:


    Ok so I mounted the viewfinder without this oring - the function of which still eludes me.

    Have taken it on four dives now - the housing is tight, holds the vacuum so I guess I won’t worry about it. Thanks for all the input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I would still keep an eye on it.  The mounting is designed so that the rotation is done in the viewfinder itself - the viewfinder nose in the adapter tube is designed to lock in and prevent it rotating - there must be a reason for this.

    I would recommend next time you have the housing open to try turning the viewfinder while observing the retaining o-ring.  If it rotates even a little it could start to wear.  The viewfinders are designed that way for a reason.  So It might be fine initially but could lead to problems later.  If it is locked in place and does not rotate you should be fine.

  17. I would still keep an eye on it.  The mounting is designed so that the rotation is done in the viewfinder itself - the viewfinder nose in the adapter tube is designed to lock in and prevent it rotating - there must be a reason for this.
    I would recommend next time you have the housing open to try turning the viewfinder while observing the retaining o-ring.  If it rotates even a little it could start to wear.  The viewfinders are designed that way for a reason.  So It might be fine initially but could lead to problems later.  If it is locked in place and does not rotate you should be fine.

    Just checked - does not move at all. There is also no movement when I pull on the viewfinder. Seems safe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. 53 minutes ago, VOL said:


    Just checked - does not move at all. There is also no movement when I pull on the viewfinder. Seems safe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Great - sounds like it's sorted then.

  19. Great - sounds like it's sorted then.

    Yes thanks for all the help !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.