Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UW housing conversion services?

Started by pmerc ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

UW housing conversion services?

4 posts
  1. Hi All, 

    I've been out of the hobby for some time and would like to jump back into the deep end.

    My current setup is a Canon 7D (2009) with a Nauticam housing.

    Does anyone know if there is a reputable service that offers conversion kits for using a housing and converting it to use another camera?

    If not, I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a play with 3D printed to DIY.

    Thanks!

  2. Manufacturers offer this when cameras are really similar. Nauticam did this with the Panasonic LX100 (mkII) and with some other housings too. Don't know them all off the top of my head. Isotta recently told me that they would upgrade a housing from the Em1mkII to the EM1mkIII. 

    Prerequisite for this conversion, is that the camera fits well enough into the original housing. I'm sure it could be done with housings where conversion is not officially supported, but I've never heard of a professional do it and I'm sure it would be a serious DIY job to do it yourself. Depending on Cameras and Housings it would certainly be possible in some circumstances, but I wouldn't do it without a fair bit of experience in 3D Printing. Tolerances are fairly tight...

  3. Thank you very much for the reply.

  4. 11 hours ago, hyp said:

    Manufacturers offer this when cameras are really similar. Nauticam did this with the Panasonic LX100 (mkII) and with some other housings too. Don't know them all off the top of my head. Isotta recently told me that they would upgrade a housing from the Em1mkII to the EM1mkIII. 

    Prerequisite for this conversion, is that the camera fits well enough into the original housing. I'm sure it could be done with housings where conversion is not officially supported, but I've never heard of a professional do it and I'm sure it would be a serious DIY job to do it yourself. Depending on Cameras and Housings it would certainly be possible in some circumstances, but I wouldn't do it without a fair bit of experience in 3D Printing. Tolerances are fairly tight...

    I would expect some machining would also be required to get surfaces good enough for o-rings to seal and there are a great many of them for all of the housing controls.  Also note that plastic housings are often made of Polycarbonate which is quite a high strength plastic.  If you look at ikelite housing the back closure plates are around 12mm thick.  The closing force on a housing back that is 180 x 125mm at a depth of 10 m is around 230 kg. 

    If you are on a budget I think it would be far preferable to buy  a second hand housing - you need a bit of patience, but housings will sell for 40-60% of new price.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.