Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Live: 2021 Wetpixel/DPG Masters Results

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Live: 2021 Wetpixel/DPG Masters Results

8 posts
  1. After a sabbatical, @Alex_Mustard and @adamhanlon gather to discuss the results of the 2021 DPG/Wetpixel Masters of Underwater Imaging contest. Focusing primarily on the category winners, they highlight what made the images the winners, how the winners crafted their images and give constructive feedback on some creative ideas about how they could potentially be improved.

     

  2. Hi Adam, im the Winner in the Wide Angle Traditional Category.

    When you talk about my picture how its the Reflections done Alex says he don't know really.

    So let me explain. I used a Panasonic LX100ii in a Nauticam Housing and adapted a Raynox Circular Fisheye Lens(is out of production since 10years) on a Flatport with a 4 inch Domeport (dry).  The Reflection Effect is created inside the Raynox Circular Fisheye, its a Reflection Tube with a diameter of 3,5cm and a length of 2cm fixed between the first and second glass element.

    So i can get a very wide angle of view with the reflections.

    If you adapt a big Reflection Tube outside on a Dome with a Fisheye Lens then you lost a lot angle of view.

    And the Reflections looks like a mirror. By mine Solution the Effect is more soft.

    I was really surprised to get the first place. Because like you and Alex says , without the Reflections is like a nothing special Wide Angle Shot. I agree with you completely.

    But with the colorful reflections is stand out from the crowd.

    Im a not so really good photographer. Thats why i try mostly some creative ways to get a picture in the camera which looks different.

    Enrico Somogyi

     

     

     

    Edited by Enrico S.
  3. Hey Enrico,

    Thank you so much for clearing this up for us. Your image is very lovely and a well-deserved winner. It is very rare for Alex to be uncertain how an image was created, so your innovative use of an "old" lens is a great and creative idea. 

    I love your work-please keep doing exactly what you do now!

    Adam
     

  4. Hi Adam,

    thank you very much for your kind words.

    Enrico

  5. Thanks so much for sharing your secrets, Enrico! Not only in this forum, but also in the UPY2022. 

    I have to disagree with:

    On 2/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, Enrico S. said:

    Im a not so really good photographer. Thats why i try mostly some creative ways to get a picture in the camera which looks different.

    I would put it the other way: your creative approach does make you a really good photographer! It's nice to see new creative technics and thus creating pictures that are "new".

  6. Thank you for sharing your creative process!  I'm not sure how this lens works but to make sure i understand : you inserted a reflection tube Inside the lens?

     

    Edit : and congratulations of course!

    Edited by waterpixel
  7. 3 hours ago, ChrisH80 said:

    Thanks so much for sharing your secrets, Enrico! Not only in this forum, but also in the UPY2022. 

    I have to disagree with:

    I would put it the other way: your creative approach does make you a really good photographer! It's nice to see new creative technics and thus creating pictures that are "new".

    Thank  you very much, Christian :)

  8. 1 hour ago, waterpixel said:

    Thank you for sharing your creative process!  I'm not sure how this lens works but to make sure i understand : you inserted a reflection tube Inside the lens?

     

    Edit : and congratulations of course!

    Thanks a lot! Yes, i dissembled the Raynox Circular Fisheye and then I insert the small Reflection Tube between the first and second Lenselement (the first lens is on the camera site). In total the Raynox has four Glasselements .

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.