Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

New nudibranch from Lembeh Strait

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

New nudibranch from Lembeh Strait

6 posts
  1. Nuswanto Lobbu, the divemaster of YosDive in Lembeh, sent me this photo of a new nudibranch he just found.
    I have forwarded it to Dave Behrens of the Dr Terry Gosliner nudibranch study group for identification .
    Meanwhile your thoughts are welcome. 

    0.jpg

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  2. One thing you might mention to anyone who sends in nudi photos is by all means take the artistic shot, but also take some shots from the other angles with with maximum depth of field.  That's one thing that's noted in Nudi ID websites I mentioned previously, the ID features may be on another part of the Nudi that's not in focus

  3. What you say about multiple views of an animal or object in question makes perfect sense, as in this case where before posting Dr. Behrens and I had already asked Nus for more photos, which I will post if and when he sends them, together with the tentative species assignment by the Gosliner group.  

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  4. 11 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

    What you say about multiple views of an animal or object in question makes perfect sense, as in this case where before posting Dr. Behrens and I had already asked Nus for more photos, which I will post if and when he sends them, together with the tentative species assignment by the Gosliner group.  

    Hopefully they'll be able to ID.  I had one in Sydney that no-one had ever seen before - I haven't seen it since, the forums thought it was Thorunna sp.  This is the the nudi:  https://www.aus-natural.com/Underwater/Nudibranches/slides/Thorunna Sp.html

    The other thing often asked for is depth and approximate length.  I can't see anything in my books that looks close to your one.

  5. Nus, Nuswanto Lobbu of Lembeh Strait,  just provided a side view of his new nudibranch, and Dr David Behrens replied:

    424936041_NewCuthona.thumb.jpg.dae0c8b7e4c1ab84585266e487d13898.jpg

                                                                       "Yep - a new Cuthona."  

    Now we have a new nudibranch awaiting its species name, which I hope will be Cuthona nuswantii or lobbii. 

    The species naming one would think is very scientific, but no, it is not.  I say this as Capt. James Black once sent a new SE Pacific nudibranch to Dr. Gosliner, who asked a gal in his lab to dissect and describe it.  She did and on her own, gave it her niece's name!  

  6. Nice to get at least a partial ID - there are a lot of undescribed nudi species out there some of them are quite common, just no one has gone through the process of scientifically describing them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.