Thanks all for the useful comments. I acknowledge the contrariness of my stand point, but to be honest I've been very happy not chasing the latest update to PS. And while you are right on the cost of gear and diving, I'd like to choose where I spend my money not be made to continue paying even if the gains are great. For a few years I might prefer to stick with what I have and spend £300 or £400 on a new "to me lens" or diving holiday in the UK or just save it (I know a strange concept for a person that dives and takes pictures). I bought PS CS6 about 10 years ago and then bought one of the last LR standalones about 6-7 years ago. Can't remember the price of CS 6 but I guess about at about £500 pounds (I think) and LR at just over £100 (I'm pretty sure). So £600 that I can still use (PC based for me). That is about half price of the £1200 it would have cost to be on Adobe's gravy train. Yes I didn't get all the updates but I've not known what I'm missing and been happy enough.
I'm not a major manipulator of pictures (try to get my pictures as good as I can in camera and then do as little as I can get away with or can be bothered with) and I take pictures for my own entertainment not to win awards or anything special.
I may also be a lot less well off than many here as I find a housing at £3000-4000 and a camera at £2000-£3000 a lot of money. I've just upgraded to a D500 which I got with only 3000 click for £800 and a housing for £2500 from Wetpixel classified with other useful bits, but that was after living with my D7000 and housing for over 10 years.
I mostly dive in the UK with weeks in the beautiful Scilly Isles or trips to Mull (I don't do much photography for my weekend diving as that tends to be more deep and DARK, or I'm taking in beginners). Every few years my wife and I are fortunate enough to get a trip to somewhere lovely we are off to Cenderawasih next year after our last Maldives trip in 2019.
Finally, I just like to buy something and be in control, not open to the whims of Adobe. It's an old fashioned view point but one that I prefer.