I (un)fortunately need a new viewfinder and realize Nauticam has new models ( 32213 and 32214) - given the direction of travel of the camera industry to Mirrorless (larger EVF), would it make sense to invest in 32214 rather than 32213 ?
32213 would fit my current setup but keen to hear your thoughts!
Thank you
4 minutes ago, waterpixel said:
I (un)fortunately need a new viewfinder and realize Nauticam has new models ( 32213 and 32214) - given the direction of travel of the camera industry to Mirrorless (larger EVF), would it make sense to invest in 32214 rather than 32213 ?
32213 would fit my current setup but keen to hear your thoughts!
Thank you
There's 4 different 45° viewfinders. The old ones are 33203 and 33205 - the same viewfinder with a different nose to suit mirrorless and DSLR housings. I know with my EM-1 MkII the corners of the this viewfinder are a little blurry.
The new viewfinders have different magnifications and it seems the 0.8:1 version helps accommodate larger viewfinders. They also look to be a little more compact than the old models and are 40° and 32° rather than 45°. I think it's a trade of between the magnification allowing you to see fine details in the centre and seeing sharp corners. I would think that might be quite a personal decision best solved by finding a physical shop where you can compare the two options? There might possibly be a benefit for the 1:1 veiwfinder if you did a lot of manual focus work for example?
15 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:
The new viewfinders have different magnifications and it seems the 0.8:1 version helps accommodate larger viewfinders. They also look to be a little more compact than the old models and are 40° and 32° rather than 45°.
All four of the viewfinders are actually 45 degree finders, the 32 degree 1:1 and 42 degree 0.8:1 are the AOV's in relation to the EVF. Large EVF's like the Sony A1 and A7S III and perhaps the new OM-1 need the 0.8:1/32 degree AOV.
Because if the super high resolution of the EVFs on the new mirrorless cameras, the new full frame viewfinders allow viewing the entire EVF image (corner to corner) instead of cropping. I use the new Nauticam 32214 Full Frame 0.8:1 with the Nikon Z6 ii EVF and absolutely love it. I can see the full EVF image (corner to corner) without cropping, and the EVF resolution provides tack sharp manual focus ability. I understand the new Sony's have even higher EVF resolution thank the Nikon's.
I'm not sure about the newer versions, but with the old 45º view finders (33205 for mirrorless, 33203 for DSLR) the actual viewfinders are identical, with the only difference being the length of the mount through the housing. A conversion from one to the other is a simply changeover of the mount piece.
My NA-XT3 housing, which is actually a mirrorless camera, requires the DSLR viewfinder. This is from Nauticam:
Quote
I realize the naming of the viewfinders can create confusion, and apologize for that. We'll look at clearing this up, but in the beginning the form factor for our mirrorless and dslr systems was significantly different. As MIL systems get more and more advanced, our housings have become more "DSLR" like, and that line is getting a bit blurred.