Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus 9-18mm

Started by Dann-Oh ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus 9-18mm

9 posts
  1. Those that have used it. What are likes and dis-likes? 

     

    I found a copy of the lens for $260. It has a small scratch on the front element. I'm trying to get photos of the scratch.

     

    I would be using this lens for CFWA type photos. I really like using the Pana 8mm fisheye lens but sometimes I feel I'm getting too close to the creatures for their comfort.

     

    Also, if you have used it can you share photos made with the 9-18?

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  2. My wife has the Zuiko 9-18mm and used it with the Zen DP170. The results are good and I can recommend this combination. Before this, she was using this lens with the flat port of her EPL6 with Oly EP-PT10 housing (the flat port is recommended by Olympus), but the IQ was horrible...

    Now she uses most of the time the Tokina 10-17mm with Metabones 0.71x adapter (best IQ, but fisheye look) and occasionally my Pana 7-14mm, both behind the DP170.

     

    Wolfgang

  3. You will need to add some extension I think, it appears to use 60mm more extension more extension than the Panasonic 8mm fisheye does (30mm more than the olympus fisheye).  The 9-18 doesn't focus quite as close as some lenses and would need that extra extension to be able to focus at it's closest.  If you plan to use your fisheye port bear in mind corners will suffer in comparison to a bigger dome.  The fisheye design handles dome port optics at lot better than any rectilinear lens does.

  4.  

    6 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    You will need to add some extension I think, it appears to use 60mm more extension more extension than the Panasonic 8mm fisheye does (30mm more than the olympus fisheye).  The 9-18 doesn't focus quite as close as some lenses and would need that extra extension to be able to focus at it's closest.  If you plan to use your fisheye port bear in mind corners will suffer in comparison to a bigger dome.  The fisheye design handles dome port optics at lot better than any rectilinear lens does.

    @ChrisRoss I was planning to use the  AOI-DLP-04P (4in semi dome port) from Backscatter.  This is what they recommend for the EPL 10 housing.  

     

    @Architeuthis thanks for the vote of confidence that this is a  good combination.

  5. The attached photos show the scratch on the front element as well as images captured with the scratched element.  I can not see anything in the photos Would you guys mind taking a look to see if you see anything?

    @ChrisRoss mentioned that the min focus distance is not too close (0.25m) so maybe the lens cant see the scratch. 

    2022-02-28.jpg

    P9260069-S.jpg

    P9260025-S.jpg

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  6. It may not show up in this type of shot as the scratch won't be in focus and the sun would need to be in the right spot in the frame for it to be seen.  It would be seen as a soft area in the frame and you might see that on a shot of a continuous pattern with some good contrast. 

     

  7. Good point. I was actually able to find a different copy of the lens with perfect glass for only $20 more.

  8. I use it with the Nauticam Housing and a 4" Port and Oly Housing with a Zen 100 Dome Port.

    It is my smal WA solution if the 180cm Port is to Big.

    first: You need to caver the Letters in Front of the Lense or the reflect in the Port (Simple solution, ring from Black Paper and a Stepup ring)

    The 9-18 is ... ok. Split works in some situations. WA is ok. Also used it for Models Shoots. CFWA never tryed with this lense. So its fo me OK to use but with a Oly 7-14 and a 180 Dome you geht in all these areas better results. But for the compactnes the 9-18 is for me good solution.
     

    Edited by wedge
  9. Have one with an Olympus PEN-PL3 combined with a Zen Domeport.

    As Wedge already pointed out, you need to cover the markings on the front of the lens. And not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I also use the anti-reflection ring too.This one at bluewater

    Usage I'd say is fair. It does allow for wider shots, nice with wrecks etc. But it does limit your reach compared to the 14-42. Particularly for fish portaits, I just  can't get close enough and miss the zoom range. So for most 'mixed subject' dives, I prefer the 14-42 over the 9-18.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.