Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

DPP 4 is horrible slow, what to use?

Started by stillviking ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

DPP 4 is horrible slow, what to use?

8 posts
  1. Hello wet buddys,

    I recently moved from DSLR to the mirrorless R.

    I have always used DPP 3 and it was excellent and fast. It turns out that DPP 4 is so slow to open the new .CR3 files making it impossible to make the selection of photos from a shooting session (check photos when similar (sharp, focus, etc) to delete, etc.).

    What do you recommend for a quick opening of photos for selection / comparison between them before starting really editing in Lightroom?

    I can't believe how Canon did DPP4 so much worse than DPP3!

    Share your experience!

  2. I use ACDSee ... but you will have to check it has support for the latest Canon raw files

  3. The best RAW viewer (no edit, just viewer) is witzhout a doubt Fast Raw Viewer

    Many options. Super fast, and achieve the goal you described (i have the same)

  4. 1 hour ago, lambee01 said:

    The best RAW viewer (no edit, just viewer) is witzhout a doubt Fast Raw Viewer

    Many options. Super fast, and achieve the goal you described (i have the same)

    I will try it for sure, thanks!!

  5. I think DPP4 is great, maybe it depends on what machine you're running it on, and maybe there is a support issue for the 'R' files - just guessing there though. 

    That said, I always use Photo Mechanic to view the files before import - a great and really fast program that gets rid of the rubbish files prior to downloading them to your RAW converter

    Mike 

  6. 5 minutes ago, pooley said:

    I think DPP4 is great, maybe it depends on what machine you're running it on, and maybe there is a support issue for the 'R' files - just guessing there though. 

    That said, I always use Photo Mechanic to view the files before import - a great and really fast program that gets rid of the rubbish files prior to downloading them to your RAW converter

    Mike 

    Photo Mechanic looks amazing, will give it a try!

  7. Look at Breezebrowser Pro, it is very fast for reviewing and you can do a fully functional 30 day trial. I use it and have the preview quality set to highest.  It is purely a reviewing program - I wouldn't use it for raw conversions.  It's Windows only

  8. On 2/28/2022 at 7:55 AM, lambee01 said:

    The best RAW viewer (no edit, just viewer) is witzhout a doubt Fast Raw Viewer

    Many options. Super fast, and achieve the goal you described (i have the same)

    I will have a second vote for Fast Raw Viewer.  I just finished my trial and I will be buying the software with a smile next time I need to sue it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.