Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Housing storage and o-ring care

Started by OMorissette ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing storage and o-ring care

14 posts
  1. I feel this is a dumb question, but I can't find definite answer. When you store you housing (between period you'll not dive), do you store the housing open or closed? I'm under the impression that keeping it close will keep the main o-ring compressed, maybe disforming it? However, I can't find any indications on manufacturers website or uw book I have. 

    My housing is an Aquatica, but it could apply to any brand...

  2. I store the housing closed but with the O ring removed.   Nauticam says for storage, remove O-rings for storage to avoid deforming them, place in zip-lock and store in housing. I see no reason to think Aquatica would be different.

  3. 2 hours ago, Draq said:

    I store the housing closed but with the O ring removed.   Nauticam says for storage, remove O-rings for storage to avoid deforming them, place in zip-lock and store in housing. I see no reason to think Aquatica would be different.

    agree

     

  4. I'm really anal about my O rings.  I transport and store my housing and ports with one set of Orings, and when I get to the resort I replace them all.

    One set for travel/storage, one set for working.

  5. Ok great, thanks you for your answers, it make sense!

  6. Interesting topic, I would like to know if someone leaves the o-ring in the waterhousing compressed when stored and had a deformability problem? From my experience, in my 1st waterhousing many years ago I left the o-ring for years without any problems. Is it recommended? I don't think so either.

  7.  

    13 hours ago, Draq said:

    I store the housing closed but with the O ring removed.

    Me too.

  8. Removing the orings during storage is ridiculous and unnecessary. You increase the likelihood of loss or damage when you do this. It's likely not good for the housing either with metal on metal contact of the surfaces banging around.

  9. @OMorissette bet you’re glad you asked now?! 
     

    Take your pick….. something  a few of us do. Or unnecessary and potentially damaging……

    Unnecessary maybe. I respect davehicks’ view but I’m not sure it’s damaging. The metal on metal services are unlikely to move much - if at all when latched - and both of them should be smooth. 

  10. Quote

    Removing the orings during storage is ridiculous and unnecessary. You increase the likelihood of loss or damage when you do this. It's likely not good for the housing either with metal on metal contact of the surfaces banging around.

    That's what I always thought and it goes by my personal experience, I've never had a problem leaving the o-rings in waterhousing. At least until today.

    Edited by stillviking
  11. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    @OMorissette bet you’re glad you asked now?! 
     

    Take your pick….. something  a few of us do. Or unnecessary and potentially damaging……

    Unnecessary maybe. I respect davehicks’ view but I’m not sure it’s damaging. The metal on metal services are unlikely to move much - if at all when latched - and both of them should be smooth. 

    Well, honestly I wasn't expecting a concensus. I'm a scientist so used to the famous "it depend" as an answer. At least it was interesting to learn from everyone experience. I guess I'll have to find what best for me, given the way I use my equipment.

     

  12. After a dive trip, I take out the main o-ring for the housing and the extensions and ports, wash them with water and soap, rinse them, let them dry and lube them with the grease supplied by the brand (small amount, only to get them shiny).

    I clean the groove on the housing/extensions/ports and then, I put the o-rings back in place.

    The housing stays closed, but without any port, to grant that there is no vacuum inside (for instance in the airplane), although nowadays, with housings with vacuum system, it is not a big problem anymore as opening the vacuum valve the housing can be equalized and easily opened (of course, if you have a vacuum system installed).

    if possible, I do this even before traveling home. And when done, at home I do not touch the housing no more. Straight to “storage”.

    I believe that air and UV light do more damage to the o-ring than to be in place….

    If to have the o-rings in place when storage were a problem, all the buttons o-rings should be replaced between diving seasons/travels….

    Nevertheless, I also believe that if you take out the o-rings, clean them, lightly lube them and keep them inside a plastic bag in a dark place (out of daylight) it won’t do any harm.

  13. I have had an Aquatica housing with the same o rings for ten years now, all the time in place, housing closed. No apparent change on the O rings. 

    However, having done maintenance on a number of Aquatica housings, I have noticed metal fatigue on the housing locks, in more than one case. If you do not use a vacuum system, the halves of the housing might not be pulled tightly enough together and this might watertightness near the surface. The metallic locks are easy to change. I think this is the only excuse to store the housing open. However the drawback is that dust might accumulate inside the housing in hard to reach places. 

  14. I store the (Nauticam) housing with O-ring in place, but not locked, in the transportation bag...

     

    Wolfgang

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.