I have and love the Kraken KRL 09s but I'm using my subsee flip adaptor and it is far from ideal. It's a pain to get it secured and I've had it fall out multiple times in a dive. It doesn't sit as well against the port as it should so I get blur on the edges and sometimes don't get a sharp image even in the middle.
I am using a subal macro port.
Please help point me to a better option! Ideally I'd like a flip type arrangement rather than a threaded port as the quick flexibility makes this setup excellent for my needs, but am open to options. Pic to show the blur and just because it makes the post pretty :)
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Kraken KRl-09s
-
-
When you say it falls out - do you mean it falls out and drops or it just won't stay in position?
A bayonet system could be a good option. You can then have a a caddy on on of your strobe arms to hold it. But your port needs to support attaching the bayonet.
Otherwise you could look at other flip adapters, the lens you have is quite large and heavy so need a more substantial flip adapter than a macro diopter. For example Nauticam have one for their MWL which is a lot more substantial.
The other thing to consider is if the port is suitable for the lens you are using and allows you to get a close fit. Does you port have an M67 thread or do you need a clamp on flip holder? This may limit your options.
-
It's tough to get the 09s to sit right so you can get it secured in the flip mount which has a tension screw, but no threads. And then I think it's in there nicely and I'm having no issues then floop, it falls out. Not always, but it clearly isn't the perfect tool.
My port is the subal macro without a thread. When I get everything aligned, it works a treat.
I don't know what the bayonet system is? I assume I'd need a bit for the port and then another bit for the lens? Do they make these for the Subal port?
I'll have a google for that nauticam option, thanks. The AOI has also been suggested but I don't think it works with my Subal port. I was very much trying not to have to buy the threaded Nauticam port (my housing is nauticam, but I use the Subal 60 macro port) -
1 hour ago, alcina said:
It's tough to get the 09s to sit right so you can get it secured in the flip mount which has a tension screw, but no threads. And then I think it's in there nicely and I'm having no issues then floop, it falls out. Not always, but it clearly isn't the perfect tool.
My port is the subal macro without a thread. When I get everything aligned, it works a treat.
I don't know what the bayonet system is? I assume I'd need a bit for the port and then another bit for the lens? Do they make these for the Subal port?
I'll have a google for that nauticam option, thanks. The AOI has also been suggested but I don't think it works with my Subal port. I was very much trying not to have to buy the threaded Nauticam port (my housing is nauticam, but I use the Subal 60 macro port)The Nauticam port would probably be your very best option, the ports have a 67mm thread so you can add the bayonet fitting and a much wider range of flip adapters are available . Both systems have their pluses and minuses. With the bayonet you need to put the lens somewhere when you take it off and it's a big lump to have on a strobe arm. The flip adapter when it's flipped up can get in the way of your strobes if you are doing macro with it flipped up.
This is the Nauticam version to go on the port, you also need a mating part on the lens: https://www.scubapix.com/essentials/arms-clamps-trays/arm-accessories/83250-m67-to-bayonet-converter-ii/
It works best on Nauticam ports where it uses a small pin the little slot in the port to prevent it unscrewing. You would need to confirm the lens side adapter will fit properly on your Kraken lens.
If you don't have a thread that probably rules out most bayonet systems I think and also the Nauticam heavy duty flip adapter. You could always look into adapting an Isotta port or S&S port which requires an adapter ring change which goes for about $80 (Nauticam 21301). You would need to confirm the Isotta port takes the same adapter.
By the way the Nauticam adapter seems to be dedicated to their MWL-1 so probably wouldn't work for your Kraken lens. You could probably use the standard flip adapter and that has a latch to keep the lens in place.
-
Thanks so much for your help on this.
I knew I'd eventually want to get the 60 macro nauticam port but was trying to put it off as I'm not diving as much as I'd like...I did get the 100 nauticam port, but now that I'm using the 60 again...well, more shopping! -
19 minutes ago, alcina said:
Thanks so much for your help on this.
I knew I'd eventually want to get the 60 macro nauticam port but was trying to put it off as I'm not diving as much as I'd like...I did get the 100 nauticam port, but now that I'm using the 60 again...well, more shopping!You could always see if you find a second hand one. There was one in the classifieds a few months back with no responses.
-
I remember the Bluewater or Backscatter (can't remember which) review of the KRL-09s recommend the Nauticam Flip Adapter. I agree with the other posters that you will preferably attach that to a nauticam port as the little notch makes sure that the flip adapter stays on securely.