Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Semi Dome Options

Started by Dann-Oh ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Semi Dome Options

3 posts
  1. I have the Olympus EPL10 in the AOI PEN housing.  I just got the Olympus 9-18 f/4.0-5.6 M Zuiko ED Lens, I am a little confused if I should be looking to use the AOI DLP-04P or the ZEN WA-100.  My other ports are the AOI branded ports.  The AOI port is $225 and the ZEN is $400, I will also need to get the zoom gear.  I am leaning towards the AOI but I could use some help deciding.

     

    I have been enjoying using my Panasonic 8mm F3.5 behind the AOI DLP-06, I just which I had a little bit more zoom and that's why I got the 9-18.  I mostly dive off the coast of Southern California and Catalina Island and when ever I bring my fisheye kit I always find nudies which are tough to get good photos with an 8mm.  I hope this makes sense.

    Edited by Dann-Oh
  2. It comes down to whether you want an acrylic or a glass dome port.  Otherwise the performance is going to fairly similar I would think.

    On the topic of zoom , the fisheye as you know will focus down to the dome port, while the 9-18 has a minimum focus distance of 25cm.  As a result the fisheye can achieve 0.2x magnification according to the specs while the 9-18 is only 0.1x.  So the fisheye will be about 85mm across the frame at min focus while the 9-18 will be about 170mm across the frame.  The dome will probably get in the way of achieving an 85mm frame of course so I expect you'll see a similar framing with a bit more working distance.

    If you are looking to shoot nudis on a more multi purpose setup I think other lenses like the 14-42 with 0.19x and the 12-45 (0.25x) might be better options.

  3. @ChrisRoss thanks for the thoghts.

     

    Ahh okay, so you think I would be better off sticking with my 8mm fisheye and 60mm macro options. The other option I have is the 14-42 with a +5 or +6 (I cant remember the strength) diopter.  I do enjoy the thought CFWA photography but I'm not too sure how well I'm performing it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.