Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Interior Scratch on Acrylic Dome Port

Started by Redwing ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Interior Scratch on Acrylic Dome Port

8 posts
  1. While restoring the exterior finish on my Aquatica 230mm WA acrylic dome port using the Micro Mesh restoration kit, I discovered that I have a scratch on the interior portion of the dome port as well.

    As expected the exterior scratches are cleaning up nicely, but there is no way I can refinish the interior scratch to my knowledge.

    Is there some type of photo test I can perform that will show me how these internal scratches might be affecting my images or not?  Or if I need a new dome port?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Mike

     

    Edited by Redwing
  2. Depends on where the scratch is and if it is in the field of view of your lens.  Take a photo into the light of an even dark background to see how and where it might impact.

    You could perhaps remove the dome from the base to refinish an interior scratch.  They are sealed by o-rings - you might want to source a new o-ring if you considered taking that path.  Alternatively you could source a new dome element and have that fitted if it proved necessary.

  3. My worry is that many domes have an internal anti reflective coating, and obviously this could be destroyed by polishing.

    The worst case is that you partially remove it, which might result in visible artefacts.

  4. Hi Mike,

    Just to clarify, do you have our 9.25 inch glass dome (18407) or our  8" acrylic dome port (18405)?

    Hope everyone has a great weekend!

  5. 59 minutes ago, Carolina A. said:

    Hi Mike,

    Just to clarify, do you have our 9.25 inch glass dome (18407) or our  8" acrylic dome port (18405)?

    Hope everyone has a great weekend!

    I'm fairly sure it is 18405.  I can't confirm as there is no part number on the dome, however the diameter is 8 1/4".  Also the dome shade is removable and not integrated.

    Edited by Redwing
  6. 12 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Depends on where the scratch is and if it is in the field of view of your lens.  Take a photo into the light of an even dark background to see how and where it might impact.

    Thanks.  I'll try this. 

  7. 3 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

    My worry is that many domes have an internal anti reflective coating, and obviously this could be destroyed by polishing.

    The worst case is that you partially remove it, which might result in visible artefacts.

    Uggh.  2022 is shaping up to be very expensive.

  8. Hi Mike,

     

    Please send an email to techsupport@aquatica.ca and someone will get back to you with the best solution for your dome. Thank you!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.