Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 10-20

Started by Draq ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 10-20

5 posts
  1. I was thinking it might be interesting to try out the fairly inexpensive Nikon 10-20 rectilinear sometime.  Nauticam does not list the lens or make a zoom ring for it.  Wondering if any of you might have played with this and have suggestions regarding extension length and in particular, a zoom ring that might fit?

    Long shot, but no harm in asking.

  2. In once tried an adjustable gear belt and it worked, sort of, allowed zoom in and out.
    You could Google: adjustable gear belt, I found several.  B&H also has some gears. With the adjustable belt, I cut off the adjustable knob and excess belt, and wired the desired length together, it was bumpy-rough but worked. 

     

    digital_juice_dj_lens_gear_belt_adjustable_lens_drive_gear_1002474.jpg

    cool_lux_lg7273_luxgear_72_to_73_9mm_1453746980_1219600.webp

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  3. 20 hours ago, Draq said:

    Wondering if any of you might have played with this and have suggestions regarding extension length and in particular, a zoom ring that might fit?

     

    John, a bit like Elias, I've played around with all sorts of things to make a temporary zoom ring to try things out.

    I found bicycle tyre (tire?) type material wrapped around the lens zoom ring has worked well to pad out a zoom ring which was too large - but which engaged with the housing mechanism.

    That's the key, I think, if the zoom ring engages with the housing mechanism - and its just too large for the lens, there are ways just to pad out the difference. If you don't have a ring big enough then, errrr..... Elias' idea is neat. 

    On the EXR, I'm sure Adam did a review ages ago of wide-angles which included the 10-20. Maybe worth  look. Would it be hugely different in EXR terms to the 10-24? 

  4. I used a ring of sticky back velcro. Just enough friction to catch on the gear from the housing. 

  5. The lens is physically very close to the same size as the Nikkor 10-24, so I would likely start there as far as extension ring. I realize that there is more to proper extension than just physical size.  Actually, as I think about it, I should probably try the zoom ring from that lens as well.

    I will dig around and see if I have any other zoom rings that are close.  Frankly, it is just curiosity on my part.  I have a 10-24 and also a 10-20 Sigma, so I doubt the 10-20 Nikkor will offer any benefit, but sometimes I feel like experimenting.  Not that I can readily get in the water to try these things, unless I pay to use a dive shop pool for an hour or so.

    The tape or velcro could work.  I could also try wrapping some 1/4" gaffer tape around the zoom ring until it engages the housing gear.  Gaffer tape is easy to remove and somewhat textured so if thick enough on the lens, it might work, at least for an experiment.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.