Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Landbased red sea diving w/ good photography?

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Landbased red sea diving w/ good photography?

18 posts
  1. Hey folks, I'm thinking of going to Egypt for a 1 week dive trip. The buddy I'm going with prefers land based diving, so I was looking at Marsa Shagra.

     

    Has anyone had great experience with photography doing land based diving in the Red Sea? Do you have any sample shots? :) I must admit I'm fairly spoiled now and honestly, I'm worried Red Sea would be generic in comparison based on diving I've done there previously, but there's plenty I've not explored, and Marsa Shagra so far seems pretty good!

     

    Criteria:

    • Direct flights
    • Reasonable / cheap
    • 1 week
    • Landbased
    • Good for photography, ideally wide + macro + night dives / bonfire dives (seems Marsa Shagra has opportunities for Shark and Dolphin trips too?)
  2. I love shore based diving in the Red Sea. The fringing reefs are prolific and very beautiful. Being able today dive the same reefs on multiple dives allows you to get completely dialled in on where subjects are and how the light varies.

    I haven't been to Marsa Shagra, but have been to Port Ghalib several times and dived with Explorer there. They run trips out to Elphinstone and the Dolphin house. Both of these are boat trips however. I must confess that both sharks and dolphin opportunities are not a great reason for visiting the Red Sea - you might get lucky, but you also may not :P.

  3. Hey @adamhanlon, thanks for responding.

     

    I guess I'm worried that I may be setting myself up for disappointment, as I've been to Elphinstone once (got unlucky of course!) but I was hoping that Dolphin house would have an extremely high chance.

     

    Whilst I don't want to sound like a prude, if I can't see Sharks or Dolphins during a 1 week trip, I'm unsure if the Red Sea is for me (I've seen so many lionfish and blue spotted stingrays I've lost the will to photograph them anymore :D...Aathough I still need to get a great shot of a lionfish head on with the sunburst in the background).

     

    Boat trips are absolutely fine, as they go out Marsa Shagra as well, and I'll more than happily dive without my mate there if he's not up for it ;) I presume you haven't had frequent encounters at Elphinstone / Dolphin house?

  4. I'm with Adam on this, I love the Red Sea for diving. Have also been to Marsa Shagra, and it's smaller and quieter sister Marsa Nakari, and Wadi Lahami (much further south, RIB trips to the Fury Shoals, so may not be your buddy's thing).  I have found great photo opps of all sorts of things,but great pics less so as usually with the family! One great thing is that it's unlimited diving and you can go where you like on the house reef. Lots of unusual stuff at both Nakari and Shagra - once you get your eye in, it's amazing what you can find: turtles almost guaranteed, but have seen (without camera) guitarfish, and we've had dolphins in the bay on at least two occasions and quite regularly large grouper and snapper.  They also have a photo competition where you can win a free week (check out Red Sea Diving Safari - Marsa Alam - Home (redsea-divingsafari.com).  Alex Tatersall has hosted workshops there, too.  

    There are some great offshore sites that are quiet, and about 30 mins ride away - Habili Nakari and Habili Dori from Nakari are standouts for soft coral - the safety stop on H. Nakari is memorable, and great for watching the anthias and other reef dwellers (can be a bit of surge). It's possible to do day trips to Nakari from Shagra.  Nakari may not be open, depending on numbers. Sadly Nakari can be a bit of a litter trap - lots of plastic can be brought in on the tide; the team do their best to clean it, but if it's not been dived for a while there can be quite a bit of rubbish.  Best tip is talk to the guys on what's hot. Sarah O'Gorman works at Shagra is a keen shooter too - she particularly likes the smallest stuff. 

  5. Thanks for the response @JustinO! I'll look into that.

    It seems my buddy is only able to join half way through the trip so I'm thinking 4-5 days in Hurghada and the rest in Marsa Shagra.

     

    Any recommendations for easy diving (solo photography) out of hurghada? I'm tuning cheap and cheerful as I'm not sharing costs unfortunately. But direct access to boat would be a must i think! 

  6. 10 hours ago, sinetwo said:

    Thanks for the response @JustinO! I'll look into that.

    It seems my buddy is only able to join half way through the trip so I'm thinking 4-5 days in Hurghada and the rest in Marsa Shagra.

     

    Any recommendations for easy diving (solo photography) out of hurghada? I'm tuning cheap and cheerful as I'm not sharing costs unfortunately. But direct access to boat would be a must i think! 

    Sorry, I've not stayed in Hurghada, but use it as a port to board liveaboards from to get to the less busy offshore sites - not done any close in. There's a lot of easy and nice diving  not too far offshore, but I can't confirm if it's in reach of dayboats.  The lagoon in Shaab Al Erg ("Dolphin House", one of several such named sites) is popular with snorkellers, and yes, dolphin (it's hit and miss) - but not a great site otherwise (though we did once see a Manta and a Red Sea Walkman on the same dive outside the lagoon). The objective of most boats is very much just the dolphins - so might be a bit busy/harder to "do your own thing". I can't recall if I've seen day boats on Abu Nuhas  (as it requires RIBs to get to the wrecks from the sheltered mooring which not all day boats have). The ride in the RIB can be a bit lumpy, but it does have four big wrecks,  and occasionally a pod of semi-resident dolphins.  It's a couple of hours sail from port, too, so might be a bit pricey, and you might get 2 dives in, rather than the three you could get closer to home. Certainly less busy, though. Hope that helps.

  7. Thanks for your input @JustinO, this is all valuable info.

     

    Another option would be for me to actually just head down to Marsa Alam, to another resort which is cheaper for a solo traveller, then join my buddy in Marsa Shagra later!

  8. I've no experience of the southern resorts, m but if you're spending time in Hurghada, I'd look at staying in El Gouna, and in particular contact Moustafa Housin - https://www.dive-zoom.com 

    Moustafa is very keen on getting you what you want,  with an emphasis on the small stuff, away from the group and is on no rush to tour the reef if you'd rather spend time in one spot.

    Mike

  9. 21 hours ago, sinetwo said:

    Thanks for your input @JustinO, this is all valuable info.

     

    Another option would be for me to actually just head down to Marsa Alam, to another resort which is cheaper for a solo traveller, then join my buddy in Marsa Shagra later!

    Glad to be of help.

    It might be most cost-effective to look at staying at just one place? I'd imagine a 7 night package in one resort might work out cheaper than 3 and 4 in two, after transfers from airport factored in. By the way, it's about a 3hr drive from Hurghada to Marsa; you can also fly into Marsa Alam (airport code RMF) but the flights from UK are certainly less frequent and on different days - not sure about other countries (and I think TUI has paused the LGW-RMF route this year). 

    if you do consider a week at Shagra, they do have a "buddy board" for unaccompanied divers - or you can dive solo if qualified, and dive until 8pm or so.  You can also buy dive packages that include their zone system, to do guided dives on other places if you've had your fill of the house reef. Some sites are seagrass based, so the chance of a big green turtle, or dugong...seen the former, but still waiting on the latter.

     

  10. Thanks again @JustinO, my findings so far are:

    1. There's a huge cost to the transfer from Hurghada to Marsa Alam if you're going solo (currently 100eur each way, but I'll see if there are ways to share or cheaper options). There are no flights to RMF unfortunately, so it'll be the 3 hour transfer.

    2. Flight prices ain't what they used to be! £520-550 incl. luggage or so. :)

    3. If Marsa Shagra can accommodate a single diver, that' would be ace. 22 eur per dive for a private guide ain't too bad either.

     

    I'm waiting to hear back from them but at the moment it seems like a direct flight to Cancun or Hurghada are the best options.

  11. To get from Hurghada to Marsa Alam, there are more economical routes from town to town by staying clear of actual airport transfer busses. If you pick a dive center with bases in both towns, they will be motivated to advise. Many have staff cars or pickups shuttling back and forth. There will also be minibuses for locals from town to town.

    The down side is that such transport involves connections and works on local time, so you need slack in your schedule to avoid getting stressed.

  12. A comment on the street transfer: there is a new motorway in parallell to the old one recently and the times for the transfer are shorter now. I also recommend to book the transfers via your travel agency and, if this is not possible, to book via your hotel. They try to arrange group transfers that will be much cheaper than booking single transfers just ad hoc at the airport (in addition some drivers charge superexpensive prices when they see they have an unexperienced tourist as negotiation partner)...

    Wolfgang

  13. On 4/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, sinetwo said:

    Thanks again @JustinO, my findings so far are:

    1. There's a huge cost to the transfer from Hurghada to Marsa Alam if you're going solo (currently 100eur each way, but I'll see if there are ways to share or cheaper options). There are no flights to RMF unfortunately, so it'll be the 3 hour transfer.

    2. Flight prices ain't what they used to be! £520-550 incl. luggage or so. :)

    3. If Marsa Shagra can accommodate a single diver, that' would be ace. 22 eur per dive for a private guide ain't too bad either.

     

    I'm waiting to hear back from them but at the moment it seems like a direct flight to Cancun or Hurghada are the best options.

     

    My 2 cents about Fury Shoals and Wadi Lahami area:

    Definitely one of my favorites - I cannot stand places like Sharm/Hurghada and Marsa Alam. All those giant compound hotels and 500 people dive centers are not my thing. Dahab used to be a place to have really nice diving, but  big part of going there was also to visit all the folks...and tthey are long gone sadly.
    One note is that Fury can be strange...there are some dive sites that will be all colors and crits, and others where you will yawn from boredom. Really depends on weather/time of year it seems as well.
     

    Wadi Lahami village - stayed in 2017. Very nice and quiet place, tents and a few "normal bungalows" (huge things). Diving done on a RIB so can be a bit bumpy but they start really early (often RIB leaves 7AM) so you are at the divesites before any of the big boats, and back for lunch. As it is so quiet, no clue how it will work with buddy but you can always dive with DM :). They are pretty ok there.
    Also ABSOLUTELY AMAZING TOMATOES. Yes, tomatoes. Literally best I've have even eaten. There was about 10+ folks out there at the time, all absolutely stuffing their gob with tomatoes.
    Price wise on the more expensive range, thought cheaper than the Nakari/Shagra. Didn't complain thought as we drove there from Cairo and had resident prices ;)

    Orca Diving Wadi Lahmy - stayed end of 2021 for a quick week+ solo as gf could not travel. Place is a couple of clicks from the village, you can actually see the other place. Dive center/hotel are ran separately but dive center can help though sometimes chaos can result :D. Hotel can book via normal sites or (often 200+ euro less) ones like TUI (though can be a hassle, always pay with credit card!). Hotel is one of the smaller compounds, maybe 100 guests, but rather on the quieter side ie no giant parties each night with music banging till 2 AM. Pretty nice looking. Dive center is part of Orca clubs and pretty ok. Diving from either RIB or big boat (real big) about  about 10mins drive away from port. Big boat is definitely very comfy, especially if you have only 10/15 folks....no stepping on each other toes and plenty of places to lounge. Can take time though, the local port authority is pretty painful and they double check boats/passenger count so can sometimes take 1h+ just to depart...so that you are back 16.00+ in the hotel.

    Very good diving prices, i would say cheapest in the area (Lunch is extra though, can always ask hotel to pack one). They do allow unguided diving, or even a bit of "unnoficial" wandering off once they establish you seem to know what you are doing (or pretend well enough). Can give you number of the dive guide i went with, was very relaxed and pretty much sometimes arranged half the boat just so i had a nice dive :D

    Important - very cheap transfer (more below)

     

    One more place, though not sure would go there for longer unless doing courses/rebreather, as they only have shore reef  - Orca Coral Garden (the one outside Safaga). Super relaxed, couple who ran it are super helpful. Full rebreather support and you can dive whenever you want, just grab a tank (solo diving was not allowed last time I was there). We (or gf) have always stopped there for a few days when driving on the North-South. Pretty nice place. They can also arrange boat dives from their 2nd Safaga location This one is slightly bigger and maybe even better for a solo travel - in fact that was (part) of my other plan last November (wanted to to more diving on Salem Express then transfer down to their Wadi Lahami location) but at the end they were booked full.

     

    Now as for flights - to give you an example, since you seem to have a similar plan like i had last November - at the end decided for Orca Wadi Lahmy - the other village was to pricey alone (especially w/o resident discount anymore ). Plus the big boat definitely made things easier when solo with camera. Price wise was about 1600 Euro for flights/hotel/diving/transfers 12 nights/10 days of diving.

    Flights - you can fly to Marsa Alam, that is the fastest, but also most expensive. When I was booking it, Hurghada cost me 350 Euro (charter from Bonn, including upgrade to 32kg etc), meanwhile similar flight to Marsa would have been 600-700 Euro.  Hurghada is not that far, about 5-6 hours drive so its doable. You can always plan to land around 18.00, be in hotel 24.00/1, on teh way back it also kinda helps as driving is low, i.e for example started at 12.00, flight was 20.00 meaning day before could even do a night dive still decoing in the car :)

    Transfers - Ignore all dedicated transfer services online or  Hurghada. They are usually 100+ (often 150) one way.
    Arrange with Orca - 98 Euro BOTH ways (return). You can also book the transfer even if not staying/diving with them. Had some folks for example in the nearby kite village also riding with me.

     

    Edited by makar0n — FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome
  14. Good point from @Architeuthis on the transfers.   Worth also  getting an agent to quote / book flight for you.  They have early access to fares and  some get block allocations, so can likely get a cheaper deal than you can booking your own.  They have more buying power than you, so might be able to get you a sharper package if you let them know you're on a budget.

  15. Thanks all, I'll look into booking with agent and finding cheaper transfers.

     

    Im going with Marsa Shagra and probably TUI. However I can't see TUI packaging Marsa Shagra, and Marsa just quoted me 100eur each way for a transfer!

     

    @Architeuthis do you have any recommendations for just the transportation part from Hurghada to Marsa Alam please?

     

    Thanks again all, very helpful info here. 

  16. Are you going there now?

    I was several times in Masa Alam in this period and IMHO  a drysuit is mandatory. But I'm a Mediterranean man ;)

    Be prepared fro strong wind anyway

  17. 7 hours ago, sinetwo said:

    @Architeuthis do you have any recommendations for just the transportation part from Hurghada to Marsa Alam please?

     

     

    I cannot recommend a special transport agency, since I book the transfer always together with accomodation and flight as a package. When I have several resorts and the travelling agency cannot book transport easy, I ask at the resort, Safari boat and/or the diving base for transportation and it was always much less than 100 Euro. For booking a package with several destinations and better flight options, I have good experience with "Charly Reisen" (https://www.tauch-safari.de/), but the agency will depend on your home country...

     

    Just an example: when I look at www.restplatzbörse.at (where I often book, alternatively dry check24.at, they have almost identical offers), I get 1 week at Rohanou eco lodge AI (that has a very nice housereef, perfect for UW-photographers), flight Vienna/Hurghada and back for 703 Euros (the pure resort without flight, by the way,  is 251 per week AI - no reason to negotiate further :mocking:; the diving, of course is extra and costs about 25 Euro/housreef dive and more, when you dive with the day-boat).  This includes transportation Hurghada/Rohanou (located south to El Quesier, about 2/3 the way to Marsa Alam from Hurghada). When I uncheck the Transportation box it is 26  Euros less (two way transportation). Often transportation is in a mini-Van that starts at the airport and drop out the people at different resorts (and opposite when going back, then they collect the people from different resorts and bring them to the airport). Only once I took a personal transport directly at the airport and it was by far the most expensive ever...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  18. Thank you @Architeuthis, I ended up booking my taxi with Blue Taxi Egy Hurghada which was 55 EUR each way for one person. I ended up booking everything myself, flights, transportation and lodging/diving with Marsa Shagra, as it was the cheapest overall.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.