Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam Rubber gear teeth breaking

Started by Elijah Aasand ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam Rubber gear teeth breaking

8 posts
  1. I need a need a new gear for my nauticam housing, The teeth on the rubber gear that controls the aperture wheel are breaking. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement? I am also wondering what could cause this; it must be misalignment issue or possibly I am scrolling to fast when reviewing images. The housing is the NA-5DSR

    20220403_130012.thumb.jpg.41bfb37f6c3a62f4e25bbeee6f04a0e2.jpg

    Edited by Elijah Aasand
  2. I usually just email nauticam directly, they are quite helpful in getting the parts once your provide the SN

    Edited by lancelot365
  3. Backscatter may carry the spare parts:
    225 Cannery Row, Monterey, California 93940 USA
    PHONE: +1-831-645-1082
    EMAIL: west@backscatter.com

     

  4. 8 hours ago, Elijah Aasand said:

    I need a need a new gear for my nauticam housing, The teeth on the rubber gear that controls the aperture wheel are breaking. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement? I am also wondering what could cause this; it must be misalignment issue or possibly I am scrolling to fast when reviewing images. The housing is the NA-5DSR

     

    I assume this is turning the rear dial on the camera?  Does the camera wheel show any sign of wear and does the control ever slip that you can notice - it might be slipping now with the wear, but what about originally?  The gear wheel may be made relatively soft to avoid marring the wheel on the camera?

  5. 15 hours ago, Elijah Aasand said:

    I need a need a new gear for my nauticam housing, The teeth on the rubber gear that controls the aperture wheel are breaking. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement? I am also wondering what could cause this; it must be misalignment issue or possibly I am scrolling to fast when reviewing images. The housing is the NA-5DSR

     

    I think those just break with age - had similar thing, where a rubber cover on a rotating thingie also has worn off and just disintegrated. The thing still worked just was sliding a bit (kinda like people starting to run in every Scooby Doo cartoon :D ).
    As i was sending the housing for a service anyways, Nauticam service center has replaced it, cost was exactly 7.5 Euros.

    In other words email Nauticam indeed (or their nearest authorized service center directly if you know one)

     

    IMG_20210901_140023 _red.jpg

    Edited by makar0n
  6. Just email your local Nauticam dealer or Nauticam directly. They could just send you a replacement part for free.

    That wheel is really simple to swap for yourself.

  7. On 4/9/2022 at 8:22 AM, lancelot365 said:

    I usually just email nauticam directly, they are quite helpful in getting the parts once your provide the SN

     

    On 4/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, Kraken de Mabini said:

    Backscatter may carry the spare parts:
    225 Cannery Row, Monterey, California 93940 USA
    PHONE: +1-831-645-1082
    EMAIL: west@backscatter.com

     

    Okay I will contact nauticam and backscatter

     

    On 4/9/2022 at 4:25 PM, ChrisRoss said:

    I assume this is turning the rear dial on the camera?  Does the camera wheel show any sign of wear and does the control ever slip that you can notice - it might be slipping now with the wear, but what about originally?  The gear wheel may be made relatively soft to avoid marring the wheel on the camera?

    Yes, this is the gear that turns the rear dial. There are no signs of wear on the camera. The rubber gear is made of soft rubber, it slips a lot right now it has gotten worse over the last 10 dives.

     

    On 4/10/2022 at 8:50 PM, Davide DB said:

    Just email your local Nauticam dealer or Nauticam directly. They could just send you a replacement part for free.

    That wheel is really simple to swap for yourself.

    Awesome it would be great not to have to send it in.

  8. This is one more reason to buy Sea&Sea or Subal housings, as Nauticam housings are unnecessarily complicated and trouble prone, expensive and a nuisance to repair.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.